Get involved before it’s too late

Get involved before it’s too late
Get involved before it’s too late

My time at Bowling Green State University is quickly coming to an end and it’s a bitter-sweet feeling. I have never been good with change and leaving a place I have come to call home will be difficult, but I’m not leaving without the preparation I need to succeed. 

I would love to summarize my time by my education alone, but my overall experience in Falcon Media, more specifically the BG News, is truly what was worth my tuition. 

Many say newspapers, let alone news, is a dying business. But, for me, it is something that has inspired me and kept me going since I stepped foot into the newsroom at the Kuhlin Center. 

I remember my freshman year orientation, where I sat in said newsroom and listened to the Editor-in-Chief of the BG News, Brionna Scebbi. 

Listening to her speak about the organization, let alone the newspaper, made me crave her position, and every day I am proud to say I achieved that. 

Being Editor-in-Chief was my greatest accomplishment at BGSU. I don’t regret graduating early, but as I conclude my final meetings, prepare my successor and say my goodbyes, a sense of loss comes over me. I’m ready to leave, I am, but leaving the friendships, routine and lifestyle I have made for myself is again, bitter-sweet. 

Without Falcon Media, I don’t think I would have found a true home at BGSU. The greatest advice I can give to upcoming students, who have any journalistic interest, is to give it a shot. You don’t know what will happen, and you don’t know who you will meet, it could change you. 

Student media is sacred, it is needed. Without participation, who will tell the stories that need to be told? Student journalists have an impact, even if you don’t immediately see it. Someone is reading your story, someone is learning something. The work you do is meaningful and will prepare you to be a professional. 

It’s never too late to get involved, even if you’re a senior going into your final semester, there is time. Many would be shocked by the amount you can accomplish as a student journalist if you truly put your mind to it.

As Editor-in-Chief of the BG News, I have experienced things that the normal college student doesn’t even think of. I have become more than familiar with the ins and outs of the university, I have covered things I thought I would never have to do and I have made friendships with people I probably would have never come across if I did not participate.

I’m leaving with gratitude and respect for those who have helped me through my time. As I wrap up my time and publish my last issue, I want to thank those who have stuck by me and supported my decisions while helping me with whatever I needed. 

My managing editor has been someone I can depend on, no matter the ask or time. She is someone I have come to respect and ultimately, I have learned from her. I’m excited to pass this paper to Nia Lambdin and I have no doubt she will break news, produce content and lead our classmates to success. 

My design team is a group of individuals that I have bonded with and come to respect while developing the best understanding of their individual talents. Isabella, Drake, Ian, Kyle and Ellie, you have helped me create an appealing newspaper, that I am proud and eager to grab every Wednesday morning. The pages you design impress me beyond belief, and I’m very grateful for your time, dedication and for sharing your talents with me.

To everyone who had a byline while I was Editor-in-Chief, I wish I could name you all, but for now, I would just like to express my thanks for participating, writing stories and showing up. Without all of you, the paper wouldn’t be what it is. I’m proud of each and every one of you, and I’m eternally grateful for you having the courage to show up and make a name for yourself. 

To the faculty that has believed in me, showed up to help and watch me succeed, I’m grateful for the time, expertise and patience you have provided. Dr. Jim Foust, Dr. Bailey Dick and Karl Smith, you three have given me the confidence to complete a paper, and I truly appreciate every ounce of assistance and advice you have given me along the way. 

To those who came before and taught me, I will always remember our interactions, the words of encouragement you gave me and everything else in between. Thank you, Andrew Bailey, Shaelee Haff and Brionna Scebbi for being inspiring role models and believing in me.

I have experienced dedication and perseverance from my entire staff, and that is not limited to my time as Editor-in-Chief. Every role I have held within Falcon Media has taught me something I would have never learned in the classroom, and that is the power you have on your own to do great things.

Each and every person has shown me that they care and have what it takes to create powerful content. I’m sad to leave this group of people, but I know they will all accomplish great things and continue to make me proud.

I’m excited to see what the future of the BG News and Falcon Media brings, but I will be forever grateful for the impact it has left on me. I’m proud to be the BG News Editor-in-Chief and to represent all who came before and all who come after me. 

We do astonishing work, with the time and staff we have been allotted and don’t let anyone tell you less. You can do it.