BGSU’s natural gas pipeline information

BGSU
BGSU

Bowling Green State University students received an email last Thursday, regarding the natural gas pipeline on campus, and how to remain alert to possible gas leak dangers.

Exposure to gas leaks requires immediate medical attention and can be extremely dangerous with possible fatalities, according to the CDC.

BGSU’s regular operation and maintenance program provides services that address leakages before they could occur, according to BGSU Office of Campus Operations.

The university has treated the pipeline, which allows for the gas to release an odor when leaking, similar to the smell of rotten eggs. Community members should be alert to that odor as well as the other signs of a gas leak, such as bubbles in natural water, or a strange hissing sound.

Gas leaks can be caused by the deterioration of the pipes and by external forces damaging the pipes. All people who plan to dig on campus, no matter the project, can call the BGSU maintenance offices to prevent damaging the pipeline.

Any person that suspects a natural gas pipeline emergency can call the facility’s 24/7 hotline, at 419-372-2346.