Halloween party hopes to mesh cultures

Halloween party hopes to mesh cultures

The Chinese Language and Culture Club hosted a Halloween party open to the public at the Mauer Center to invite all BGSU community members interested in sharing their culture. Members and guests enjoyed crafts, video games, candy and costumes. 

Club member Jenna Dunn said the group provides a sense of belonging by meshing both American and Chinese cultures. She grew up in the Northern Province of China from four years old to 17 and is fluent in Chinese and English. 

“People of all different cultures [get] to know each other,” by the club hosting public events like these, Dunn said. 

“I thought [the club] would be a great opportunity to kinda bridge the world between my two cultures. I had really been missing Chinese culture since I’d come to the states, so I was looking to make Chinese friends and I was super excited to get to share Chinese culture with my American friends,” Dunn said. 

Although Chinese culture doesn’t necessarily include holidays like Halloween, Jinghang “James” Chen said that the club functions to both teach American tradition and share Chinese culture. 

“I was born Chinese, so I can never change my [identity]. So I feel like it is my duty to celebrate my culture,” Chen said. 

Chen educated others on Chinese traditions that may reflect some Halloween sentiments, such as the ghost festival. 

“We do have a ghost festival, but instead of going out, we stay at home, because we are afraid that the ghosts will catch us,” Chen said. “A lot of Chinese teenagers, they love Halloween. I would say that you don’t have to be Chinese [to enjoy Halloween].”

Club President Tessa Arnett said that the club will welcome anyone interested and that it is always looking for new members. 

“I just like hanging out with people. I enjoy just watching people interact. I don’t care about the numbers, you know? As long as everyone is having fun,” Arnett said. 

The club hosts events every other Thursday from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in room 231 in the  Mauer Center. The next events include traditional music on Nov. 3 and a tea social on Nov. 17.