BGSU wins first MAC game of the year

The Bowling Green Falcons traveled to Akron to face the Zips in their first MAC football game of the year. 

In the first quarter, BGSU got off to a fast start with a huge defensive play by Jalen Burton, intercepting Akron Quarterback Dj Irons and taking the ball all the way to the end zone. These defensive plays would continue throughout the game for the BG defense. Particularly from the defensive line, recording 6 sacks for the whole game.  

BG would continue to dominate the rest of the first halfwith a 24-14 lead after a touchdown pass from Qb Matt McDonald to Christian Sims after a dropped punt from the Akron Special Teams. That touchdown pass was Matt Mcdonald’s second of the game. Unfortunately, Matt McDonald’s zero interceptions streak would end this game after one of his passes was picked off in the third quarter of the game.  

The Falcons and the Zips would continue a tightly contested game all the way into the fourth quarter. With BG only leading by 3 points, Odieu Hilare would pull off two incredibly clutch plays in one drive, first taking a pass from Matt Mcdonald fifty-nine yards all the way to Akron 27 yard line, then two plays later catching an 18-yard touchdown pass to put the Falcons up by ten.  

The BGSU Falcons win the game 31-28, starting off hot with their first MAC win of the year and improving to an overall record of 2-3 on the year. The Falcons return home to Doyt Perry Stadium for a game against the Buffalo Bulls, on October 8th, with a 12 pm start time.