A Glance into Falcon Family Weekend

Laura Sandlin, Reporter

Every year, parents and family members are invited to Falcon Family Weekend, which has long been a tradition at Bowling Green State University. Relatives are invited to come to enjoy a weekend filled with events, activities and games, along with creating memories and exploring the campus.

As the fall continues, students can often feel overwhelmed or stressed, which can impact how they perform in school. Katie Crawford, assistant to the office of the Marvin Center, says that students often look to their families as a supportive resource.

“I think family weekend serves as a really good role to refresh for students. When you get to talk about your life here on campus and your classes with your family, it helps to gain perspective and learn how to deal with problems, and it’s great to have that support system,” Crawford said.

Studies from The University of California-Berkley show that students whose families participate in their education have higher levels of attendance, homework completion, academic outcomes and graduation rates.

“Family weekend is important because it boosts morale for all the students getting to see their families again, who are a huge support system in a student’s life,” Seth Campbell, a third-year pre-medicine student said. “Being halfway through the semester, I think everyone appreciates seeing people who are close to them as a pick-me-up.”

EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES

September 30 – October 1

September 30:

Dueling Pianos: 5 p.m. at the Oaks

• Watch a comedy show at the Oaks on campus for dinner and show, along with Freddy and Frieda Falcon playing dueling pianos.

BSGU Volleyball: 6 p.m. at the Stroh Center

• BSGU women’s volleyball takes on Ohio University Friday night, along with dollar night at the Stroh Center.

Drag Bingo: 7 p.m. at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union

• Not-so-traditional, but oh-so-fun, this is bingo with a show.

BGSU Campus Quest: 10 a.m. at University Hall

• A combination of the Amazing Race and Trivial Pursuit, explore campus through this fun adventure.

October 1:

Family Weekend Volleyball Tailgate: 2 p.m. at the Stroh Center

Tailgate the BGSU women’s volleyball game vs. Ohio University.

BSGU Volleyball vs. Ohio: 4 p.m. at the Stroh Center

• Title IX night vs Ohio University

Magical Daniel Martin: 7 p.m. at the Bowen-Thompson Student Union

• Come watch Daniel Martin in his show, AWESTRUCK.

Brunch with the Birds: 10 a.m. at the Oaks

• Come enjoy a free brunch with Freddy and Frieda at the Oaks.