Drunk driver indicted in death of BGSU student

Ryan Dick

Picture taken during Ryan Walker’s memorial event held on campus

Nia Lambdin, Editor in Chief

Nearly four months after a fatal four-vehicle crash, a man has been indicted on charges of aggravated vehicular homicide and driving under the influence.

James Baker Jr. was indicted in December after driving while intoxicated and causing a four-vehicle collision that killed Bowling Green State University student David “Ryan” Walker and injured others in Sandusky County, according to WTOL11’s article

Ohio State Highway Patrol told Falcon Media that Baker struck two cars before hitting the car Walker had been in. 

Mugshot of James Baker Jr.

Baker faces two to eight years in prison if convicted of aggravated vehicular homicide, according to WTOL11. 

Walker’s mother, Belinda, is looking to improve backseat safety in cars. Walker was in the backseat when Baker collided head-on with the car. 

“My son should have survived this,” Belinda said. “If you’re not going to take drunk drivers off the road, you better make the vehicles safer so they can survive when they get struck.”

According to WTOL11, Belinda also mentioned that two to eight years is too little for the man who killed her son. 

“I’m looking to push (for) 16 to 20 years for a drunk driver who takes an innocent life,” Belinda said.

Belinda is also pushing for stricter drunk driving penalties in Ohio, claiming the state is one of the most lenient on the crime.

“I plan on going out there and changing the law, changing the penalties,” Belinda said. “We’re not going to do two to eight years. You took a life … Is your loved one’s life worth only two to eight years?”

Baker has been arraigned and is waiting for his pre-trial.