Are you getting enough sleep?

Sleep – Photo via PxFuel

As we push through winter at BGSU, it’s important that we are attentive to little things that can help make this semester easier. These things can be making sure our gas tanks are filled to have better start ups in increasing freezing weather, or dedicating enough time to studying. 

However, the most important thing any college student can do to improve the quality of their experience in college is to make sure they are getting enough sleep. 

According to the American Sleep Association, “sleep deprivation” is described as not obtaining adequate total sleep. College students among the U.S. population are the most likely to suffer from sleep deprivation and that can affect their effectiveness in their academic and career aspirations.

One of the keys to improving one’s time in school is to make sure they are getting enough sleep. But how much is enough?

The Center of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends college students and adults receive seven or more hours of sleep every night. It’s easy to assume that a majority of our classmates fail to meet this threshold. All-night study sessions, abnormal intake of caffeine and a lack of a coherent sleep schedule are the most common among our peers.

What can we do to start to improve our sleep? Southern New Hampshire University lists several easy steps students can take to get back their sleep and it starts with changing one’s “sleep hygiene.” First, making a regular sleep schedule can help train your body to fall asleep easier. Second, keep yourself physically active throughout the day. Even as the snow of winter keeps us inside, finding ways to stay physically active can increase the ability to fall asleep. Third, make sure that you create a healthy sleeping environment for yourself. This can include having good pillows, a good mattress, and clean and fresh bed sheets. Finally, limit one’s electronics approximately half an hour before bed. This includes cell phones, television and computers.

Some of us might wonder if taking these steps are worth it. How important is sleep in determining my success as a student?

A paragraph from the National Institutes of Health says it best: “College is a time of intellectual growth and development as young adults’ transition from adolescence to adulthood. Students need to maximize their learning, academic and personal growth. Sleepiness from any cause can compromise these goals, through impact on learning, memory, grades, perception of effort, driving performance, and mood. Although sleep deprivation has effects on many aspects of health, this article will focus on areas that may be particularly problematic for college students.” 

So if you want to improve both your academics and overall health. Carve out some time out of your busy day to make sure you are getting a good amount of rest!