New Bike Trail off Rudolph

Photo of the upcoming bike trail in Rudolph. 

Nia Lambdin | Managing Editor

Wood County residents will have a new trail to blaze next month when a new bike park opens this October.

The new park is scheduled to open in Rudolph following after several setbacks over the past few years, according to Wood County Park District Director Chris Smalley.

The park will consist of 1,783 feet of tracks and is located next to the Slippery Elm Trail between Bowling Green and North Baltimore. 

The trail is designed for skill levels ranging from beginner bike riders to advanced mountain bikers. 

A 2018 survey found that 43.5% of Wood County residents wanted more bike trails, and 55% of residents requested non-traditional biking opportunities, according to BG Independent News. 

“It’s been a slow, tedious process,” Smalley said. “Once we open it, it will be a long-term benefit for residents of Wood County and beyond.” 

The Rudolph Bike Park will be free and open to the public every day from 8 a.m. until 30 minutes past sunset. 

In terms of etiquette, the park requires individuals to provide enough room for others on the bike path and to be respectful and encouraging to others. 

Smalley said he doesn’t want to set a specific date for the opening in order to not jinx the project, according to the BG Independent News.

“I think once we do open it, people are really going to be happy with it,” Smalley said.