How to avoid burnout during COVID-19

As we continue into the third week of the spring semester at BGSU, some of us might be feeling the effects of invisible forces and challenges that will test the limits of our mental health.

Of course the pandemic hasn’t helped in making our college experience any easier. According to Healthline, college students are reporting higher levels of both anxiety and burnouts in the COVID era than the previous decade. With the Omicron variant running rampant throughout the country and debates about more school shutdowns or transitioning back to online class possibly becoming a reality, this is not an ideal environment for America’s college students.

Obviously it should go without being said that everyone should receive a dose of the COVID vaccine. According to the CDC, the Pfizer shot is highly effective in preventing hospitalization from the virus but data is less clear on the vaccine’s effectiveness on containing transmission. With that being said, COVID provides a unique challenge this semester and testing positive for COVID has the potential to set back BGSU students in their classwork and labs. That’s why it is important that we are attentive to our classes and make sure we are communicating with the professors. In my own experience, every professor has been supportive and accessible for students that test positive.

Outside of COVID, our daily lives present numerous challenges that we must face throughout the semester. As winter approaches, nature will be less cooperative than Ohio’s more warmer months. For those of us that commute to school, the last thing we need is having to wake up finding our vehicle covered in two feet of snow. Making sure that we prep our transportation with scrapers, daily maintenance, and having alternate modes of transportation like carpooling and shuttle service makes the weather one less problem to worry about. 

One of the most challenging things us students can face during our stay at BGSU is time management. This is more true for those of us fresh on campus that might be overwhelmed by the numerous events and activities on and off campus. Sometimes we commit ourselves to so many clubs, organizations and activities that we stretch ourselves thin and can translate into us not giving our classwork as much attention as it may need. For those of us that work while in school, our social life might take a hit, especially if we rightly focus on our school work with our limited time. Balancing the “trinity” of college life (work, class, and fun) will make our time at college more fulfilling and overall more enjoyable.

The way we can balance is looking at what is the most important. School should always go first, and talking to your advisor when arranging your schedule to make sure your classes are close together to maximize your free time. Then dedicate a set number of hours towards studying and homework based on your need. If you are struggling, take advantage of the many tutoring services on campus and work that into your set aside hours. Second, if you work, then make sure you only take on hours that you know you can manage. Whether it’s working on weekends or spreading it throughout the weekday, non-school work can be a main contributor in burnout among some students. Lastly, go and enjoy yourself. Give yourself some time to have fun, whether it’s partying with friends, hanging at the bar or even enjoying some alone time at home. College is a special time in our lives and we should enjoy as much of it as we can.