University students volunteer with local teens

For the sixth consecutive year, the University is partnering with the city of Bowling Green and BG Parks and Recreation to bring back BG Teen Central.

“BG Teen Central is a non-profit organization that focuses on providing entertaining, diverse and educational programs for 6th, 7th and 8th grade local students,” said BGTC program coordinator, Stephanie Schneider.

Schneider, a senior, explained the organization works to plan a variety of different events to meet the various interests of the middle school students.

“We have a multitude of programs…that can target individual students, like a dodge ball tournament versus a chess tournament,” Schneider said. “We have a variety of events because we have a variety of teens.”

Along with some funding, the University provides mentors for the teens through student volunteers.

During the activities, the University students spend time interacting with the teens. They serve as someone for the younger students to talk to about any issues and offer their own personal experiences and advice.

“As a mentor, my main priority is interacting with the teens and building relationships with them,” said Allison Jones, a junior. “I talk with them and get to know them and really try to help them in life as the age group can be really tough for some.”

“That’s what the important aspect of BG Teen Central is, is that mentoring piece,” Schneider said. “We’re sharing experiences that we’ve had. We’re trying to be there. We can be that person that they can really talk to and feel like [they’re] being listened to.”

BGTC began in 2007 as a suicide prevention program, which is why the group emphasizes the importance of listening and guiding the younger generation.

“BGSU students coming and spending their time with these kids…really changes the entire program for the better. So these students really look up to [the mentors],” Schneider said.

University students can earn service hours by volunteering with the program, but they can also have the satisfaction of helping kids in the community.

“It is a great way to keep the students hanging out in a safe environment, away from the many bad influences they may encounter,” said mentor Georgia Ike, a junior.

Students who are interested in getting involved as a mentor with BGTC can apply through the office of Service-Learning, located in University Hall 315 or email [email protected].

“I see these teens outside of the mentoring position and they love seeing me and can’t wait to talk to me, and I feel the same way,” said Jones. “It really is a phenomenal feeling.”