Rhode Island will come to town to face off with Falcons in homecoming game

The Falcons will take a break from licking their wounds as they welcome Rhode Island to town for the University’s homecoming game.

After two tough losses, one to Toledo and a shutout against Virginia Tech, the Falcons will play a much smaller school. Rhode Island, like Morgan State this past season, is a division-one football team, however they are in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly known as Division I-AA. Bowling Green plays in the Football Bowl Subdivision which is formerly known as Division I-A.

This will be the very first meeting between the Rams and the Falcons but things aren’t completely new. Falcon Head Coach Dave Clawson and Rhode Island Head Coach Joe Trainer have coached together before at Villanova in the late 1990’s according to Trainer in his midweek press-conferance.

“I think at times in the first four games we’ve performed at a high level,” Clawson said. “In the last two games we haven’t, and we need to get back on track.”

Rhode Island has struggled early on also. Coming into this game already a division lower, they will add their 0-3 record to the list. In all three losses, the Rams have failed to score more than 10 points. Their losses have been to Monmouth (41-6), Villanova (31-10) and James Madison (32-7).

“If we can get back to executing the offense the way we’re capable of and we don’t have procedures, then we certainly expect to have success,” Clawson said.

The offense of the Falcons was able to go toe-to-toe with Florida and Idaho early in the season. Florida is now ranked 11 in the country and is proving to be an SEC powerhouse.

BG quarterback Matt Schilz, who according to Trainer has “an NFL arm,” will look to improve on his past couple games. Already this season Schilz is averaging 197.5 yards a game, yet has only thrown one touchdown against his four interceptions. Rhode Island, who has struggled defensively, might be a way for him to get to that “NFL arm” caliber.

Rhode Island has struggled offensively as well, especially in its rush game. The Rams have ran for a total of 94 yards in all three games, a stat the BG defensive line and linebacking corps will be happy to see. Chris Jones already has four and a half sacks this year with eight tackles for a loss, and will be gunning for the Rams.

“It’s a great place, a great town and a college town,” Trainer also said about Bowling Green as a town and is excited for his team to travel. Some excitement the town is likely to share. It will be the homecoming game where hundreds of alumni, families, friends and fellow students will be taking to the city and stadium to show their Falcon pride.

The game will kick-off Saturday at 3:30 p.m. at the Doyt Perry Stadium.