Music-streaming websites provide service to listeners

Through the years, the way some students get their music has changed.

The Internet and certain music sites have become another way to find music.

“Clearly the Internet is running the show,” said Matthew Donahue, a popular culture instructor.

Some people would argue the online music world is taking over buying a hard copy of a CD.

“People find it easier to download music versus going out and buying it,” said sophomore Willis Hill.

However, some students disagree.

“I don’t think it’s taking over, it’s just the progression from records, to cassettes and CD’s; mp3’s are easier,” said senior Michael Goda.

Students are downloading and streaming music using many different sites, Donahue said.

The websites range from YouTube all the way to MySpace and Facebook, Donahue said.

Pandora and 8tracks.com are two commonly-used streaming websites, Donahue said.

“I usually listen to the playlist I make on iTunes or Pandora,” said freshman Mary Kuyck. Pandora is good for music-listeners who like variety, said freshman Alex May.

Users can search one specific artist and find music from them and other artists similar to them.

“If you’re on the radio, it’s the same thing over and over, with Pandora you have variety,” May said.

Websites like 8tracks.com, where users can create their own playlists, can have benefits, May said.

Being able to listen to music for free online lets people explore new genres and artists, Donahue said.

“User-created playlists are a good way to get turned on to new kinds of music,” Donahue said.

Some music websites are more convenient for students than buying a CD, Kucyk said.

“It’s easier; you don’t have to leave your house,” Kucyk said.

These websites are not only convenient, but may also be a more-affordable option for students.

“On iTunes you have to pay for music, on Pandora you can instantly stream music free,” May said.

Some users may say paying for music online costs the same amount as it does in a store to get a hard copy of a CD, Donahue said.

The difference is online you have the option to buy just one or two of the songs from an album, Donahue said.

“Not every band is releasing a consistently good album,” Donahue said. “The opportunity to pick and choose [songs] is a great option.”

These websites benefit more than just students; they may also benefit the artists.

“The main benefit [for artists] is exposure,” Donahue said.