BG will look to regroup against Virginia Tech

The road is going to get harder before it gets easier — this is something the football team must be thinking as the Falcons go on the road to play Virginia Tech.

After opening their season away at SEC powerhouse Florida, at least the Falcons could take their frustrations out on a struggling Idaho team the following week. Last week, Bowling Green lost a disappointing game away at its arch-rival Toledo, and this time there isn’t a team to beat up on following it.

This time it’s the Hokies of Virginia Tech, a school that has produced the likes of Michael Vick and Andre Davis, and this time the Falcons are away, again.

The two teams haven’t met since 1993 when the Falcons fell 33-16, and have only met twice in their histories, both times the Hokies have come out on top. However, Bowling Green, despite its 1-2 record is making progress.

Defensive tackle Chris Jones was just awarded the MAC East defensive player of the week in the Falcons 27-15 loss to Toledo. He had two sacks and a forced fumble and was a key component to keeping the Rockets 50-yards below their season rushing average.

But the Hokies aren’t the Rockets; the Hokies are an Atlantic Coast Conferance contender every year despite their loss last week. Blacksburg, Virginia is notorious for having large crowds and a huge home support much like “The Swamp” at Florida.

“Every game is just a game for us. Take the crowd away and the fans away we’re just two football teams playing each other,” redshirted sophomore and linebacker Gabe Martin said during a press conference. “[We’re] just two teams trying to impose our will on each other, and that’s what we’re going to do; impose our will on them.”

Virginia Tech is a tough team to play as it has the current longest 10-win season streak of any Football Bowl Subdivision team and bring in the winningest active Coach in the FBS with Frank Beame. The team was ranked 13th in the nation before its loss to Pittsburgh this past week, and now they are currently unranked.

The Falcons will look to recover from their own loss and beat Virginia Tech while they’re down, however Virginia Tech may be looking to do the same.

“I like the resiliency of this team,” Head Coach Dave Clawson said. “I like the leadership of this team and I feel really good about this team moving forward.”