Women’s soccer hits the road to face Minnesota on Thursday

This Thursday the BG women’s soccer team will face the University of Minnesota in their first away game of the season.

Minnesota, 2-2-0, returns from playing two games in California where they lost in second overtime against the University of San Diego and then won against the University of Southern California.

The Falcons will be on the road for six days as they play the Golden Gophers on Thursday and Western Kentucky University on Saturday.

The Falcons, who are coming off of their first regular season win, are ready to play the Gophers and hoping for a win Thursday night, said forward Tracy Togba, a junior.

“If we all come on strong enough we should be able to win them,” Togba said. “We just have to go at them hard.”

Togba, who is from Orange Village, Ohio, was named this week’s Pizza Hut athlete. She scored the first goal in the Falcons 2-1 victory game over IUPUI Sunday afternoon, which was also her first goal of the season. She scored her first assist for the season in the game against Cleveland State University Aug. 19.

“Minnesota is doing exceedingly well this season and has a new coach,” said Falcons head coach Kellie Evans. “I think it is going to be a good test for us.”

The Gophers new head coach this year is Stefanie Golan, who is a former soccer coach at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

Sunday’s game was the first regular season win and also Evan’s first victory as head coach of the Falcons.

“It has been really nice to open here at home,” Evans said, “but going on to the road we are going to face two very good opponents. But it is nice to head into them with a win.”

With the win last Sunday the Falcons improved to 1-3-0.

The Falcons game will be at 8 p.m. Thursday at Minnesota.