BG men’s basketball to play CMU

Jordon Crawford, BG guard, pushes a Buffalo defender out of the way as he makes his way down the court.

Another close loss has the Falcons once again sitting at a sub-.500 conference record.

The team hopes to change that Wednesday night as it takes on Central Michigan at the Stroh Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.

The Falcons will play the Chippewas at an opportune time. While they carry an identical 2-3 Mid-American Conference record to BG, they are 7-11 overall and are losers of three straight contests.

Also similar to BG, Central struggles on the road, posting a 2-8 record in games played in the opposing team’s arena.

One thing that has defined Central’s game this season is the play of its guards, led by sophomore Trey Zeigler.

“Their guards are a big part of their offense and what they do, starting with Trey Zeigler,” said coach Louis Orr. “He’s a guy who’s always in attack mode, attacking off the dribble and getting to the basket. He’s a good offensive rebounder and can play all over the floor.”

The Chippewas’ three leadings scorers are all guards: Zeiger (16 ppg), Derek Jackson (11.7 ppg) and Austin McBroom (10.7 ppg). All three are aggressive on defense and solid distributors, as each ranks in the team’s top three in both steals and assists.

An additional challenge for BG that Zeigler presents is his size – listed at 6-foot-5 and 203 pounds – an asset that has helped him lead the team in rebounding (6.7 per game) and could create a matchup issue for the Falcons.

Chauncey Orr is listed as BG’s tallest guard at 6-foot-4, but he averages only 6.2 minutes per game. The next tallest is Dee Brown at 6-foot-2.

“[Zeigler] attacks you in straight lines; he’s not a guy who is going to mess around,” Orr said. “He’s attacking spots, and with his size, you have to keep him away from the basket. You almost have to play him with two guys … We have to try to limit his opportunities to attack.”

Statistically speaking, BG has an advantage over Central in most categories. The Falcons average more points per game, give up fewer points per game, have a higher field goal percentage, have a better rebounding margin and average more assists per game.

However, Central’s defense has the ability to be a key factor in the game. The Chippewas have a better shooting defense than the Falcons do, average more blocks and steals per game and have a better turnover margin.