Union gallery features student photos

An exhibit featuring four photographers from photo club is on display in the Union gallery.

The exhibit is titled “Northwest of Nowhere,” according to the group artist statement posted in the gallery. The gallery is located next to the BG1 Card shop.

“Exhibits are usually from 2 to 3 weeks long,” said Kim Jacobs, associate director for Programs and Services.

Christian Hendricks, one of the photographers featured, decided over the summer that photo club should do an exhibit in the gallery.

“I decided it would be good for photo club to do one as a group,” Hendricks said.

There are 12 photos currently featured from four of photo club’s photographers, including Joshua Torres, Kara Fallon, Beth Ture and Hendricks.

“All photos were made within the last year,” Hendricks said, who has been taking photos since he was 17.

“These photos aren’t really my style,” Hendricks said. “I put up stuff that are more Northwest Ohio, geared towards the landscape.”

Although the photo styles vary from photographer to photographer, there is a common theme of black and white photos displayed.

“Josh and Beth were shooting in black and white, and Kara and I are color,” Hendricks said. “We decided it would be good for the show to be cohesive.

In order to make the exhibit cohesive, a compromise had to take place.

“The four of us all agreed that in order to have a cohesive and clean presentation, we would only put up black and white prints in white frames with no matting,” said Kara Fallon, another photographer featured.

Fallon’s photos were slightly different from the rest featured, in that hers featured people in all of them, while only one other photographer used a photo with a person in it.

“I have been photographing in and around Cleaveland since my first 35mm SLR camera back in 2004,” Fallon said.

“I love photographing people,” Fallon said. “I always try to stay true to the situation and individuals as best as I can.”

Hendricks was primarily in charge of setting up the gallery, Jacobs said.

“There were no difficulties in getting the gallery up,” Hendricks said. “We got things framed over Christmas break, then put our photos up in the gallery ourselves.”

For anyone aiming to display their work in the Union gallery, the first step is contacting Jacobs.

“The gallery is open to students, faculty, staff and alumni, but student art comes first,” Jacobs said.

Anyone can be featured in the gallery, but it’s currently full through June, Jacobs said. The next exhibit to be featured in the gallery will be an Architecture Exhibit.