Women’s basketball hits the road

Chrissy+Steffen
unknown
Chrissy Steffen

Over the last seven seasons, the women’s basketball team started 7-0 in the Mid-American Conference four times.

Can they do it for a fifth time?

The Falcons will head to Muncie, Ind., to face the Ball State Cardinals on Wednesday.

BSU is coming off a loss to Akron, while BG heads into their matchup undefeated in conference play.

Leading the Cardinals is Jazmin Hitchens, averaging 11 points and 4.4 rebounds per game.

Against Akron, guard Brandy Woody hit her career high of 17 points, while freshman Brittany Carter had 12.

The loss to the Zips gave BSU an overall record of 7-12 and a MAC standing of 2-4.

On the other hand, BG is looking for their seventh win in the MAC.

The Falcons are coming off a championship-style win that was played in the Stroh Center against Eastern Michigan.

If their record wasn’t impressive enough, they have a player who was just named both MAC Player of the Week and National High-Major Player of the week – Alexis Rogers.

For the third time in four weeks, Rogers has received MAC honors, but this time it came accompanied with national recognition.

She was recognized for her efforts against Miami and Eastern Michigan. She had her fourth double-double in five games against Miami and a career best of 30 points at home against EMU.

In conference play alone, Rogers is averaging 20.3 points and 10.5 rebounds a game, leading her team in both categories.

Wednesday’s game marks the 56th time BG and Ball State have met.

The Falcons lead the all-time series, 41-14.

The last time the two teams met, BG beat the Cardinals 61-46. The last time the Cardinals won against BG was at home in Worthen Arena in their 2007-08 season.

The Falcons are scheduled to tipoff with the Cardinals at 7 p.m.