UC receives almost $1 million in order for OSU to add a home game in 2012

CINCINNATI – The University of Cincinnati has agreed to move its 2012 football game with Ohio State from Cincinnati to Columbus for nearly $1 million, school officials said yesterday.

Ohio State wanted to opt out of the 2012 game scheduled at Paul Brown Stadium, as allowed under its contract with Cincinnati, UC athletic director Mike Thomas said. The Bearcats then negotiated to play that game at Ohio State for extra compensation.

The Bearcats also are scheduled to play the Buckeyes in Columbus in 2014, for the typical visiting-team share of $375,000, under their 2003 contract.

An Ohio State official said the Buckeyes wanted another home game in 2012.

“We wanted an eighth home game and it made sense to move it back here,” said Steve Snapp, an associate athletic director in charge of scheduling. “It was also financially beneficial for them.”

Ohio State said it will pay UC $888,246 to move the game to Columbus, paid in six annual installments of $148,041.

“This course of action is consistent with my philosophy that Cincinnati will play anyone, anywhere, at anytime,” said Cincinnati coach Brian Kelly in a statement released on Tuesday.

The Buckeyes almost got derailed on their road to the national championship in a 2002 trip to Paul Brown Stadium.

Bearcats receivers dropped two passes in the end zone in the last minute and Ohio State escaped with a 23-19 victory.