The Face of Tuition: Working Full-Time

In her red Rite Aid vest, Stefanie Vine works 40 hours a week, full time.

She is 20 years old and, in March, will be promoted to shift supervisor after working at the drug store for two years. This promotion, she said, will help her remain financially stable and give her more responsibility.

She said her life sounds like the story of a college graduate but in reality it’s all about how she had to leave the University because of financial problems.

‘It was my only decision,’ she said. ‘I didn’t have any other option.’

Vine’s first year of college was completely paid for with one loan and with scholarships. She was in the first semester of her second year when she found out she lost financial aid.

‘I didn’t want to apply for loans because I didn’t have anyone to co-sign for me and financially I was not in a place to get one. I didn’t want to drown in loans just to stay in school,’ Vine said.

Asking her parents for money was never something she could fall back on, she said. Her brother left the University of Toledo for the same financial reasons.

‘With my parents, they always said going to college was the only option, but since they didn’t go, they never had any real idea of what goes into it. I’m not trying to disappoint them, but I want them to see I’ve still made a life.’

By working hard, Vine is able to handle a car payment, rent, phone bill and other bills. These financial burdens help her get up in the morning to go to work and be proud of what she does.

Rite Aid Store Manager Ken Shellhouse said she has developed a strong character through her struggles, has a great work ethic and never even in comes late.

‘We never expected her to stay two years but she always comes in with a positive attitude and we are happy she has stayed.’

Vine said the idea of someday being able to go back to school pushes her to do better work.

‘I am completely supporting myself,’ she said. ‘That thought is what gets me up every morning to come in on time and what helps me do a good job.’

Many of her friends go to BGSU, which makes not going to class and participating in events hard, she said, but they understand and are supportive.

Senior Daniel Richardson met Vine in the fall of 2006 when they had a class together.

‘She was really smart, she reminded me of a teacher because not only is she book smart but she can also read into things and voice her opinion,’ he said.

Richardson found out Vine wouldn’t be returning to the University after she had already made her decision. He understands why she had to leave but believes it will be harder for her to come back because of the annual rise in tuition rates.

According to Policy Matters Ohio, a non-profit research organization, the tuition for Universities usually has a spike of 5 percent each year, if the school is not on a tuition freeze.

Terry Streetman, another friend of Vine who attends BGSU, believes it will be harder to come back for the same reason.

‘It seemed necessary at the time for her to leave and I know she is trying her best to get other things in order first. It’s just going to be harder for her to come back because most financial options for students force us into a financial hole,’ he said.

Crawling out of that financial hole is what Vine hopes to do within the next five years and returning to school is a goal, even if that school isn’t BGSU.

‘I’m sad I’m not going to be graduating with a lot of my friends,’ she said. ‘But at this point, it’s not so bad to be working. You have to do what you have to do to survive in this world.’