To write LOVE on her arms

Depression, self-injury and suicide are the issues. Love is the movement.

Today, University students will write ‘love’ on their arms as a part of the ‘Love is the Movement,’ event seen on Facebook. The event has over 330,000 confirmed participants all over the world.

Scott Melice, a student at the Art Institute of Atlanta and the creator of the ‘Love is the Movement’ event, thought of the idea while he was browsing Facebook and noticed he missed ‘To Write Love on Her Arms Day,’ held on Dec. 14.

‘On this day, people wrote love on their arms to help inspire those struggling with depression,’ Melice said. ‘I wanted to create a day similar that I could participate in as well.’

To Write Love on Her Arms, located in Florida, is a non-profit movement dedicated to presenting hope and finding help for those struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide, said Michael Schneider of TWLOHA.

At the time Melice created this event, the slogan for TWLOHA was ‘Love is the Movement,’ he used this as a springboard and a week later created the event.

‘It’s hard to believe it only started with 450 invitations between my wife and myself,’ Melice said. ‘Within the first week we had people from Canada and Spain, I can’t believe how big it’s gotten.’

Melice looks at the Facebook event every few days and said he sees over 1,000 new confirmed guests each time. It was an idea that caught attention and people have responded really well, he said.

‘It was a couple of people who had an idea and it just snowballed,’ Schneider said. ‘I showed our director of operations and his response was ‘that’s incredible!’ While it’s an event we never really started, we are just happy to be a part of it.’

At the University, many students are taking this event to heart and writing love on their arms for a loved one who suffers from depression or for people they know who have committed suicide.

Freshman Anna Gorman is participating because of the several suicides that occurred while she was a student at Bowling Green High School.

‘Depression is such a big deal and people choose to ignore it, causing the ones who actually have depression to not want to get help,’ she said. ”Love is the Movement’ is just one small way people can show love and hope and we are here to listen and to help.’

This event will also help those who suffer bouts of depression and let them know they are not alone, said Molly Whelan, a social worker from Behavior Connections of Wood County.

‘Anytime anybody talks about depression or when it is brought out in the open, people who suffer know they can come out on the other side,’ she said. ‘The bigger and more awesome the event, the better.’

Sophomore Grace Donnellon is writing love on her arm to help those suffering know they are loved and not ignored.

‘My mom has struggled with clinical depression for most of her life and my sister is a recovering ‘cutter.’ People with depression are real human beings and mental illnesses are not something you can just get over,’ Donnellon said.

Donnellon believes mental illness is one of the last taboos in our society because not enough people know about it or how to help. She is taking a stand for those who are struggling and to fight many of the stigmas surrounding depression.

Gorman believes a lot of people will participate all over the world.

‘It would be awesome to see the word ‘love’ written on everyone’s arm. It seems like such a small deal, but knowing that others care is so comforting. The more people, the more powerful the movement.’

Melice hopes if he sees people with love written on their arms, they will know what it symbolizes and start talking and helping.

‘If one person takes this seriously and can open the lines of communication, that will be worth it,’ he said. ‘I was never under any delusion that this would fix any problems, but I hoped this event would help people to talk and maybe get started on the road to recovery.’

Love can be a movement for anyone, at anytime in anyplace, Melice said. Just writing love on an arm on Feb. 13 will show those suffering they are not alone and they are supported.