Hurricane Ike leaves behind devastation

When Hurricane Ike hit coastal communities off Galveston, Texas, earlier this year, it not only swept away small towns and caused economic hardship. It left thousands homeless and displaced – including the Badall-Press family of Baytown, Texas.

The American Marketing Association officially adopted this family as of last month, when they saw their biography on The American Red Cross Web site in association with a Baytown area church.

Ashley Press and Ramsis Badall are the parents of three small children and have taken in five of Press’ other siblings, creating a household of 10. Having lost everything from kitchen supplies to Hannah Montana toys, the family has been staying in a small FEMA-supplied apartment.

While the AMA usually tries to limit their family adoption to the Toledo region, senior Kelly Huguenard, vice president of community service and fundraising, said they wanted to try something bigger because families in need aren’t limited by state lines.

‘This type of fundraiser shows us how the hurricane has affected people around the country,’ Huguenard said. ‘This family lost everything and we realized it’s time to help on a larger scale.’

Baytown was the final landing place for this hurricane, officially declared the third deadliest in United States history by the National Weather Service. According to the City of Baytown Emergency Operations Center, the hurricane’s impact included destruction of residential and commercial property, shortages of gasoline and food, widespread power outages and large amounts of debris.

Since the adoption, AMA has raised roughly $200 through Coca-Cola fundraisers and has a goal of $500 to collect before finals week. The funds will go to purchasing necessities and gifts for the family that will be shipped in time for Christmas.

‘It’s one thing to just send a check with a value on it,’ Huguenard said. ‘We raise the money and do all the shopping. Gifts make this more personal.’

Yesterday, the association hosted a fundraiser sponsored by Max ‘amp; Erma’s in Perrysburg. The fundraiser alloted 20 percent of all sales from customers who present the AMA advertisement. While it will take a few weeks to calculate the results of this fundraiser, Huguenard anticipates their goal will be reached ahead of schedule.

Donations are being accepted until Wednesday, Dec. 17. Donations include kitchen supplies, bathroom supplies (towels, shampoo, tooth brushes, hair bows), bed sheets (twin size) and anything else except clothes.

‘The eight kids would love any toy,’ she said. ‘But they are especially into Hannah Montana, Wall-E, Cars, Spiderman … and they love pajamas.’

For information on how to donate, contact Kelly Huguenard at [email protected].