Popular shuttle driver loves his job and passengers

For some, ‘The Wheels on the Bus go Round and Round’ may just be a popular children’s song, but for shuttle driver Rich Van Horn, it’s a way of life – and a fulfilling one at that.

Van Horn retired from the Ford Motor Company, in March 2002, after over 30 years of service. He started looking for another job, one that would mesh with his outgoing personality. Then he heard the University was hiring shuttle drivers. A mere eight months later he began driving the main route shuttle. It’s the best job he has ever had, he said.

‘It’s not even really a job,’ he said. ‘It’s a privilege driving the kids around. I get to watch the freshmen come in and then see them graduate. It’s an honor.’

Van Horn said driving the shuttle the same route everyday from 3:30-11:30 p.m. gets boring only when there isn’t anyone onboard. And even when only one person steps through his doors, he greets them and starts a conversation – even when he or they may be down in the dumps.

‘I like saying hi when they get on the bus, and I think my smile might brighten their day,’ he said. ‘And if I’m not feeling good, the passengers will say ‘what’s wrong, Mr. Rich,’ and it makes me feel good they know me.’

Sophomore Brittany Smith said she rides Van Horn’s shuttle a few times a week and enjoys having conversations and sharing stories with him.

‘He is a good guy. It pays to meet someone a few times every week who is always happy to see you and it makes an impression on you,’ she said. ‘It’s not common you find a shuttle driver who makes you wish you weren’t getting off the shuttle just yet.’

But Van Horn may not seem like a traditional shuttle driver by any means. A few years ago he handed out $10 Bob Evans gift certificates as birthday gifts for students who ride his shuttle regularly. After spending about $600 in one year, he said he couldn’t keep up with that method of gift giving.

‘I send all of my friends on Facebook a birthday e-mail,’ he said. ‘And I sometimes give cards with money in it as graduation gifts.’

Mike Burtch, a 2007 graduate who created the Facebook group ‘Mr. Rich, Shuttle Driver,’ said Van Horn could remember everyone’s birthday, even before he was on the social networking site.

Van Horn finally joined Facebook when he saw the groups dedicated to him, so in an effort to keep in touch with his student-friends, he created his own account and now has over 2,500 friends. His profile is open for anybody to look at and lists his contact information. So if anyone needs to reach him, they can – even if it’s just to say hello.

‘I know a lot of kids really care about me and I want them to know I really care about them,’ he said. ‘I think Facebook is a useful tool to see how they feel because of groups dedicated to me and I think it’s neat they think that much of me.’

Burtch said it’s important to recognize him even through Facebook because the first thing a student can expect when they step onto Van Horn’s shuttle is a warm smile and a kind hello.

‘He makes you feel welcome,’ Burtch said. ‘He is just a positive person.’

Van Horn said keeping positive is important on a college campus because students may be struggling with life and maintaining an optimistic outlook.

‘I often tell a student that sleeping is number five on the list,’ he said with a laugh. ‘Class, studying, a job and a social life come first with these kids, and I see how tired they are. … I try giving them a break in the few minutes I have to talk with them.’

While he likes to talk with students and give advice on certain life questions, the conversations don’t get too deep or personal, he said. His main priority is just talking with the student and hearing about their fun college endeavors, which he enjoys very much.

‘I like when students come show me their first tattoo and I say, ‘does dad know about that yet?’ And they look ashamed and say ‘oh no,’ and it cracks me up,’ he said.

Since taking his post as shuttle driver, Mr. Rich – as students have come to know him – has become a positive fixture at the University by maintaining his trademark shuttle grin and upbeat conversation. And even though he drives the same route day in and day out, he manages to look forward to going to work every day.

‘I like that I’m popular with the students because the bottom line is, it’s all about them,’ he said. ‘When I drive, I think I could be driving the next president, doctor or lawyer, and it makes me feel important. I love everything about this University, from sports to administration, and I couldn’t ask for more.’