Travelin’ the Globe

BROOKLYN – My days here are quickly winding down.

I realized that I have only two more weekends entirely to myself to get all the things done I want to get done.

This worries me. I don’t even know what other things I’d really like to do before returning to Ohio.

I’ve been to the biggies: the Metropolitan Museum of Art (including Jeff Koons’s giant sculpture exhibit on the roof, which was fantastic), the Museum of Modern Art, Central Park, Macy’s, Times Square, the Fifth Avenue shopping district, the United Nations, Coney Island, the Brooklyn Bridge, China Town and the Theater District.

I’ve spent a good amount of time sitting in parks reading, which is something else that I wanted to do. I’ve even attended a handful of free events, which were mostly quite spectacular.

Random, off-the-beaten-path places have occupied a fair share of my time, too; places like the Museum of the City of New York (free on Sunday mornings), Grant’s Tomb (free) and searching for the uncleaned section of Grand Central Terminal’s constellation-covered ceiling (free, northeast corner of the ceiling).

I’ve bought the necessary ‘I Y NY’ shirts (they are available on colored T-shirts now) and eaten the cheesecake, cannoli, hot dogs and pizza.

But there still are things left I’d like to do.

Two musicals are on my list: ‘Spring Awakening’ and ‘Avenue Q.’

There’s so much Brooklyn exploring I’d like to do, but I don’t know where to start and don’t want to get lost in the dark, so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to give up weekend time to accomplish this.

The Guggenheim Museum is definitely a must, especially because they have a large collection of Kandinsky paintings (my favorite). The other art I’d like to view is at The Frick Collection, which has a lot of older, European work in the mansion of steel magnate Henry Clay Frick.

Another trip to Coney Island would be great, too, because this could be my last chance ever to see the freak show or experience the amusements and boardwalks without anything substantially new.

Plans are in progress for a $1.5 billion complex that would feature high-rise hotels, retail stores, movie theaters, an indoor water park and a new roller coaster.

If the plans go through, Coney Island won’t be the slightly seedy, step-back-in-time that it now is.

I also need to make a journey to both the Bronx and Queens. I want to be able to set foot in all of the boroughs, and I’ve been to Staten Island, Manhattan and Brooklyn. My Bronx plan includes riding the 4 subway line up to the Bronx because you can see inside Yankee Stadium as the subway car goes past. I also want to see the stadium before it’s torn down.

Shea Stadium, which is in Queens, will also be torn down at the end of the year. I’d like to make a journey there. Unfortunately, I don’t know of anything else to do in Queens.

The New York Botanical Gardens are in the Bronx, so I wouldn’t mind checking those out, either.

I have a slight obsession with taking pictures of plants. When I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, I took over 100 pictures in an hour and a half. I wish I knew more about plants, especially flowers, so I think a visit there would be worth it.

But I know that as I go along, I’ll come up with more places I’d like to see and visit.

There is an endless amount of opportunities here, but I don’t think it’s possible for anyone to see and do it all. I know I’ll have another set of marathon weekends the next two weeks, but I will have to be content with what I accomplish.

There’s just too much to do here, and even if I lived the entire rest of my life here, I still don’t think it would be possible to see it all. The exhibits are always changing. The art collections are always acquiring new pieces. And even as the season changes, the views here will change, too.

– Respond to Alison at [email protected].