tlkN n txtN @ d wheel

Bowling Green City Council member Robert McOmber began discussion on banning cell phone use by drivers in June.

‘It’s a safety issue,’ McOmber said. ‘A lot of research has been done and all say that drivers on cell phones are less attentive than those who are not.’

Legislation is expected to be introduced on Sept. 15 at city council’s meeting, with a council vote on the legislation coming at the earliest by mid-October.

If passed, the law would ban talking or text messaging on cell phones, with an exception for hands-free devices such as headsets, McOmber said.

McOmber said hands-free devices help free up the hands for driving but are almost just as distracting as a regular cell phone. The reason the ordinance isn’t including hands-free devices is because it is much harder to tell if someone driving is using one.

‘Hands-free devices aren’t much safer but it is more difficult to enforce it,’ McOmber said. ‘If it’s that important for them to talk on their phone then I say get a hands-free device.’

The main problem with cell phone use while driving is that it leads to other laws being broken, McOmber said.

‘On a regular basis I see people on cell phones not obeying traffic laws,’ McOmber said. ‘I see them missing stop signs and swerving past the middle line.’

If the law is enacted, violators will be charged with a minor misdemeanor and receive a maximum fine of $150, McOmber said.

Bowling Green Lt. Tony Hetrick said he couldn’t comment on what he thought of the proposed ban but that the police department is still debating about it.

Hetrick did say a grace period is possible if the law passes, until residents are properly educated on the ban.

‘We would need to make an effort to publicize it first,’ Hetrick said. ‘If officers want to give a warning for a first offense that is up to their discretion.’

Signs will have to be put up at the city’s entrances to make sure out-of-towners and people unfamiliar with the ban know about it, McOmber said.

Undergraduate Student Government President John Waynick said USG is not taking a side on the issue yet, but believes by only letting the council vote on the issue it ‘further separates the city and campus’ and doesn’t allow students to be heard.

‘I would much rather see it go to a city vote so students can be heard,’ Waynick said.

Waynick said he and a large group of students will be going to city council on Sept. 15 to voice their opinions.

The number of accidents caused by cell phones in the city is unknown, but McOmber said he has seen traffic violations by people on their cell phones and has spoken to residents who have witnessed or caused car accidents involving cell phones.

‘In terms of accidents related to cell phone use, Bowling Green and the state do not keep track of the number,’ McOmber said. ‘If someone on a cell phone runs a stop sign, the report will say they ran a stop sign and not mention if a cell phone was involved.’

McOmber said he has been going door to door to see what the community thinks about the proposed ban to ensure a ban is something the residents want.

‘My personal feeling is that a ban is appropriate, but we should do what the majority of our people want,’ McOmber said.

Junior Jim Filbert said the issue is complicated because some people can drive more safely on their phones than others, but that instead of banning cell phones there should be an additional charge brought up against people who cause an accident while on their phone.

‘It is a double-edged sword,’ Filbert said. ‘Some people can multi-task by talking on the phone and driving and others can’t. I think if you get into a traffic accident and it is the result of using a cell phone you should be punished more.’

Senior Taylor Williams opposes the ban because she may need her phone for an emergency.

‘I think that it is very important to have your cell phone because what if something happens or someone is following you,’ Williams said. ‘Then you need to use your phone.’

Williams said the ban would not deter her from using her phone.

‘I would just put it down when I see a cop,’ she said.