Freshmen welcome event discusses success, connections

The welcoming event for the University’s almost 3,000 freshmen was filled with topics of success.

The University’s freshmen welcoming event opened in Anderson Arena late on Saturday night with the Falcon Marching Band, cheerleaders and dance team showing off cheers and tunes.

Undergraduate Student Government President John Waynick then welcomed everyone to the event and explained four quick tips for success.

‘Say hi to a stranger every day,’ Waynick said for his first point.

Secondly, he wants the new University students to keep their doors open as an easy way to meet new people. His third point for success was telling the freshmen they will need to work hard if the want to succeed. Point four was to get connected.

‘Find something that makes you proud to be a Falcon,’ Waynick said. That could be becoming a huge BGSU football fan or it could be joining any of the hundreds of clubs on campus.

Then Waynick introduced Carol Cartwright, the University’s interim president, replacing Sidney Ribeau, who left the University to be president at Howard University in Washington, D.C.

Cartwright also spoke about success.

‘Take advantage of what’s here for you…It’s all here for you, for your success,’ Cartwright said.

Like Waynick, Cartwright wants everyone to get involved on campus and off, to take chances and to ‘take charge of your college experience.’

After her welcome address, cheers were taught to the freshmen.

The instructions for Ay Ziggy Zoomba (brush, brush, clap, clap, roll, clap, clap) were first. University cheers also went back and forth across the floor in Anderson Arena.

Greg Christopher, director of athletics, spoke next, reminding the students the first home football game is in two weeks.

‘There’s tremendous athletic tradition at BGSU,’ Christopher said. ‘We look forward to your support in the stands.’

The event ended with one more tradition, the singing of the University’s’ ‘Alma Mater.’

Incoming freshman Elizabeth Crisenbery sang while the FMB played the music.