Knowledege is power

Josh Benner

Major: Philosophy

Hometown: Westerville

How did you get involved with IFC?: ‘I started going to meetings as a sophomore and thought the organization had lots of potential.’ Previous positions include scholarship chairman and vice-president of service and involvement.

Goals for IFC: ‘To have solid recruitment and looking to improve scholarship throughout IFC.’

Why join IFC?: ‘It is a good way for men in fraternities to be a part of something that effects the entire Greek community and it is also a great way to network with other Greeks and administration.’

Advice for freshmen: ‘I encourage all freshmen to explore Greek life. It’s not for everyone but a good fraternity or sorority can really affect a person’s life.’

Hobbies: Writing, thinking and weightlifting

What did you do this summer?: ‘I took five classes so I studied, went to class and weightlifted.’

Emmanual Guillory

Hometown: Lufkin, Texas

How did you get involved with GSS?: ‘I was involved in student government as an undergrad [at Texas A’amp;M]. Government has always been a passion of mine.’

Goals for GSS: ‘To address our list of our top 10 concerns and build more community between graduate students.’

Why join GSS?: ‘Our University is facing some challenges, and now is the time for graduate students to step up and insure our issues are at the forefront.’

Advice for incoming graduate students: ‘Meet someone outside your department, take advantage of Ohio and what the surrounding area has to offer and get the educational experience you need.’

Hobbies: ‘Working out, music, hanging out and having a good time.’

What did you do this summer?: ‘Working hard in GSS, and I also had two practicum’s and was taking an LSAT class.’

Derrick Coleman

Major: International Business and Apparel Merchandising

Hometown: Detroit

How did you get involved with BSU?: ‘I got involved last year when the president asked me if I wanted to do public relations for the group.’

Goals for BSU: ‘To really commemorate our 40th anniversary, have a bigger fashion show and more campus involvement from everyone. People think BSU is exclusive to black students, but we want to include anyone.’

Why join BSU?: ‘Good times, friends and good opportunities like community service. You get to do a lot and network with administration, and you are put into contact with a lot of other organizations.’

Advice for freshmen: ‘Get involved and make the most of it. Don’t go excessive though like I did [holding executive positions in three organizations] but get involved and learn time management.

Hobbies: Watching TMZ, playing and listening to music, cooking and fashion.

What did you do this summer?: ‘May through June I worked for BGSU’s Alumni and Friends Weekend (June 20-22). I visited Chicago and I worked as an intern at Exclusive Styles in Dearborn, Mich.’

Nathan Olmeda

Major: Human Development and Family Studies

Hometown: Cleveland

How did you get involved with LSU?: ‘As a freshman my RA invited me and a group of people from my hall to the meetings and I went to them on and off freshman year. Sophomore year it became more like a family and I was dedicated to it.’

Goals for LSU: ‘To live out our mission statement, which states that our purpose is to stimulate common interest, insure civil liberties and improve quality of life for all Latinos.’

Why join LSU?: ‘We are very inclusive with ethnicity, race, gender and sexual orientation. We are also a very family based organization since family is the basis for Latino culture.

Advice for freshmen: ‘Go with whatever interests you and dig deep because that is where you will find people who will be the closest to you.’

Hobbies: Music

What did you do this summer?: ‘I was in Bowling Green and worked at the Bookstore and was getting ready for Latino Heritage Month [Sept. 15 to Oct. 15].’

John Waynick

Major: Accounting and Finance

Hometown: Troy, Mich.

How did you get involved with USG?: ‘I originally started out as a senator freshman year and then treasurer. I have an interest in dealing with issues students care about.’

Goals for USG: Campus beautification and investigating cost-cutting textbook options

Why join USG?: ‘To make a positive difference for Bowling Green State University students in the present and into the future.’

Advice for freshmen: ‘If you’re going to play hard, you have to work harder.’

Hobbies: Playing sports, working out and hanging out

What did you do this summer?: ‘Working on the zoning laws [petition to increase the number of occupants in a home in Bowling Green] and an internship at a marketing firm in Toledo.’

Scott Loehrke

Major: Journalism

Hometown: Ottawa

How did you get involved with UAO?: ‘When I was a junior or senior [in high school] I heard Dashboard Confessional was coming to BG, and I knew I want to be involved with the organization that was putting it on. So when I was a freshman I looked for UAO’s table at Campus Fest and signed up.’

Goals for UAO: ‘To appeal to a wide variety of students and have diversity in our events.’

Why join UAO?: ‘Students should join if they are ready for a challenge, looking to have fun and in order to develop over the next four years.’

Advice for freshmen: ‘The people you hang out with the first weekend will probably be the people you hang out with for the first few months so choose your friends wisely.’

Hobbies: My dog, music and Falcon athletics

What did you do this summer?: ‘I worked here as an intern for the Office of Campus Activities, took a full load of classes and saw some concerts.’