Ecstacy use is on the rise

The popularity of the synthetic, psychoactive drug ecstasy continues to grow, despite the growing risks of the drug to primary brain functions.

According to a report by The Ohio Substance Abuse Monitoring Network, in June 2000, when the drug first appeared at dance clubs, it was popular among white, suburban youths. A report completed this year by The Ohio Department of Alcohol and Drug Addiction Services stated that Ecstasy use has increased dramatically, leading to considerable health concerns.

Teenagers and young adults are the main users of Ecstasy. The National Institute on Drug Abuse, study shows a dramatic increase in Ecstasy use among 18 to 26 year olds in the past four years. For this group, lifetime Ecstasy use increases four-fold, from an average of 2.4 percent in 1996 to 8.2 percent in 2000.

Ecstasy users experience a loss of inhibition, a feeling of excitement, euphoria, and a sudden rush of energy. Ecstasy encourages people to feel closer, more open and empathetic towards the people they are with, according to Ecstasy.org. This is why ecstasy is commonly referred to as the “Love Drug” or “Lover’s Speed.”

The problem is that once ecstasy is taken, it can cause serious side effects. Luceille Fleming, director of ODADAS, said, “An Ecstasy pill looks small and harmless. It may have cartoon characters or butterflies or doves on it, but it is a highly dangerous drug. You don’t know what you’re getting, and you don’t know how you body will react to it. A lethal dose looks exactly the same as any dose that can induce extremely high body temperatures, convulsions and brain damages or death.”

Ecstasy is neurotoxic and can cause permanent damage to the brain after the first dose, especially the brain’s critical thought and memory sections. High dosages can lead to kidney failure, cardiovascular system failure, heart attacks, strokes, and seizures.

The drug’s effects usually start a half an hour after taking the drug. First time users often experience confusion or anxiety. The effects normally last three to six hours. However, confusion, depression, sleeping problems, anxiety, and paranoia can occur weeks after the drug is taken.

According to data obtained by the National Drug Abuse Warning Network, the number of emergency visits resulting from an Ecstasy overdose has increased dramatically since the mid-90’s. In 1994 there were 250 ecstasy-related emergency visits compared to 3,000 reported in 1999.

Users do not normally fear negative affects when using the drug. Natalie Mason, a sophomore at the University said, “The first time I did ecstasy was at a movie called The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I was 16 at the time and it was amazing. I felt tired the next morning, but no major side effects. All together, I’ve done Ecstasy seven times. With each time I’ve felt a little more depressed and worn out.”

Most continuous users experience feelings of depression. Clinical studies have proven that Ecstasy use has a dramatic effect on the amount of seratonin that the body can produce. Serotonin enables the body to feel hungry, tired, and emotionally stable. When a person’ seratonin level drops they also experience depression, sexual side effects and sensitivity to pain.