Fair brings in jobs, connections

The 25th Annual Job Fair will be held on Wednesday, March 22, in the Lenhart Grand Ballroom of the Bowen-Thompson Student Union (Room 202) from noon to 4 p.m.

The fair attracts employers from throughout Ohio and Michigan, making it easier for students to find work in their hometowns according to Peg Bucksky, coordinator of the Job Location and Development Program in the BGSU Career Center.

“If you wait, you could find it more difficult to find work when you go home for the summer,” Bucksky said. “Working during the summer is a great way to not only earn money, but an opportunity to develop a professional network and gain transferable work skills.”

The fair is expected to bring approximately 60 organizations, which will include businesses such as Target Stores and UPS as well as a variety of summer camps and even amusement parks such as Cedar Point.

Employers attend the job fair to connect with students applying for summer jobs, and internship opportunities. They also will be recruiting students to fill a variety of positions and industries such as camp instructors and counselors, hospitality management, business, health, retail and the arts.

There will be free popcorn, door prizes, employer giveaways and free T-shirts for the first 200 students who visit the fair.

It’s also a more laid-back environment than that of a typical job fair, where students and employers would be dressed in suits. You are more likely to find business dress casual, such as polo shirts and khakis.

To make a good impression, students should bring copies of their well-prepared resume. However, resumes are not required to attend the fair. If you need help, resume drop-in hours are 9:30 -11:30 a.m., 2 – 4 p.m., Tuesday and Wednesday in 360 Saddlemire, or 5 –7 p.m., Tuesday at Founders Hall.

Students can make the most of a job fair by researching the organizations in advance to learn about the types of positions available this summer. The most current list of employers is readily available on the Career Center web site-http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/sa/career.

It’s also recommended that students develop a one-minute commercial to help sell themselves to employers.

Students can also find links to organizations’ web sites and brief descriptions of available job opportunities in the Summer Job Fair brochure that can be picked up on BG News paper racks. There will also be Career Center staff members on hand at the job fair to introduce you to employers and to offer suggestions for making the most of the Summer Job Fair.

When at the job fair students should approach and speak to the recruiter in a professional manner. You only have one time to make a great first impression.

Shake hands firmly, utilize your one-minute commercial, maintain eye contact, and leave your resume with the recruiter.

Also be sure to obtain contact information (such as a business card or brochure) from the recruiter so that you can follow up and/or send a thank-you note.

Immediately after the job fair send out thank you letters to the recruiter you met. Also send a follow-up letter and a copy of your resume to the recruiters that you spoke to while at the fair.

A list of all recruiters and their contact information will be available online within a week of the fair.