The Iry rocks out ‘for the kids,’ charity

On Sunday, a Columbus-based indie alternative band, The Iry, played music “for the kids” at the end of Dance Marathon, a 32-hour fund raising event.

Their performance for the Children’s Miracle Network is not the first time The Iry has played for a worthy cause.

Formed in 2000, The Iry has previously played in AIDS Rock Ohio and a 9/11 benefit concert.

“We like to play a lot of benefit shows,” said drummer Jordan Lothes, a University undergrad and Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity member. “Dance Marathon offered to pay us, but there was no way we were going to take a part of the charity money.”

The crowd of dancers, moralers, campus organizations and children included fraternity brothers and fans of The Iry, Nik Lyons and Jason Clever, who were singing along to every song on the set list.

“It’s cool when one of your best friends is in a band that actually rocks,” Lyons said. “The Iry is the epitome of all that is good in music.”

The excited fans had an exceptional perception of the band, perhaps because of their relationship.

“We are their groupies,” Clever said. “We’ve spent close to $500 in gas money to support the band we fell in love with at first sight.”

The “groupies” have followed The Iry across Ohio.

“The furthest we’ve traveled to see them is three hours to Miami University in Oxford,” Clever said.

The band has also played multiple shows at unique venues with musicians they respect and admire.

“We once opened for Red Wanting Blue at the Newport Music Hall in Columbus,” Lothes said. “And another time we played a big show at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland for a crowd of about 1,000 people.”

Other bands The Iry has performed with include The Shout Out Louds and Ekoostik Hookah.

Though the band finds merit in playing for charities, their favorite part of playing shows is meeting new people.

“I like the shows where we get to hang out with fans and other bands,” Lothes said. “We don’t care about the money because it’s really about having a good time and getting exposure.”

That indifference toward profit is embodied in their untitled six-track EP, which they gave for free to people after the concert.

Stefan Schwartz, keyboardist and lead singer, invited the crowd to talk with the band after the show.

Note: The Iry is now on tour. They will be performing tomorrow night at Miami University of Ohio.

For more information on tour dates, visit www.theiry.com.