Suri’ just the latest in a naming trend

So, what do you get when you cross Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise? If you answered the latest in a long line of strange celebrity baby names, you guessed right.

Toledo native Katie Holmes gave birth to a 7 pound, 7 ounce baby girl earlier last week, but the birth wasn’t the only thing making headlines.

The baby’s name, Suri, which is said to mean “princess” in Hebrew and “red rose” in Persian, seemed to draw a great deal of attention on its own.

Apparently TomKat were just following the newest trend in Hollywood these days by choosing an outrageous and unusual name for their child.

And surprisingly, Suri is not nearly as extreme as the names that some other celebrity couples have come up with.

Even Brooke Shield’s new baby girl, Grier, who was born the same day as Holmes’ baby, has a somewhat tame name compared to many new celebrity babies.

Take Will Smith’s daughter Willow for example, or Woody Allen’s son Satchel. It sounds more like you’re talking about a tree or a bag than a baby. And the names just continue to get more unique from there.

I mean, I wonder what goes through celebrities’ minds before deciding to name their child River (Arlyn and John Phoenix). But then again, I guess he did get off a bit better than his siblings Summer Joy, Rainbow Joan of Arc, Liberty Mariposa and Leaf Joaquin.

Then there are always Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin’s children. Who names their daughter Apple? Apparently the same people who name their son Moses.

At least Moses was named after one of his father’s songs. Where they came up with Apple on the other hand, is not really known. That’s just bananas.

Though it’s not quite as insane as naming your child after a number, which Singer Erykah Badu did. Now that’s just cruel. Can you imagine how badly that kid will be teased?

Odds are not as much as Jermaine Jackson’s son, Jermajesty. And then there’s always Moon Unit Zappa. Moon Unit? Come on. If you want to be clever when naming your child, that’s fine. But Moon Unit? There’s nothing remotely ingenious about that.

It’s almost as if naming children has become a game for celebrities. Maybe they all got together when we weren’t looking and decided that whoever could come up with the most inventive name for their child was the winner.

Or perhaps celebrities feel that by giving their children outrageous names they are just expressing their artistic nature. Newsflash: Naming your child Pilot Inspektor, as Jason Lee did, is not creative. That’s just mean. As is naming your kid Audio Science, which yes, Shannon Sossamon (of A Knight’s Tale) actually did. What are these people thinking?

Well, at least they are putting some thought into their children’s names, which is more than can be said for some stars. Several celebrities have taken the easy way out by naming their children after themselves.

In these cases, no creativity is used; so nothing can go wrong, right? Well, think again. It’s one thing to name one child after you, but George Foreman took this idea and ran with it when he named his children George Jr., George III, George IV, George V, George VI and Georgetta.

Let’s not forget Michael Jackson whose sons are named Prince Michael I and Prince Michael II. I guess that’s what you can expect from someone who dangles his baby over a balcony.

But then, maybe the stars are on to something. All you have to do when trying to come up with a name for your baby is either put together two random words, both of which don’t resemble anything close to a name, or simply think of the last food you just ate. Peaches, Coco, Indiana August and Blue Angel do all have a nice ring to them. Or then again, maybe not.

Whatever the reason for the recent trend in bizarre baby names, one thing is certain. At least after the stars careers are over and they are long forgotten they will still be remembered for the crazy name that they gave their child.

So, that leaves one last question. What do you get when you cross Angelina Jolie with Brad Pitt? The world will just have to wait and see.

Send comments to Taylor at [email protected].