Burrito bar building big in BG

The refuse-filled industrial dumpsters and dusty gravel parking lot at 1558 E. Wooster St. may not look appealing to Bowling Green residents. However, an application put before Bowling Green City Council on Monday confirmed that a national restaurant hopes to soon make the site appetizing.

Council clerk Kay Scherreik informed the council of an application for a liquor license made by Chipotle Mexican Grill, Inc. Though the Denver-based burrito chain is 13 years old, its menu includes margaritas and other drinks meant for the 21-and-older crowd.

Serving those beverages at the new building, nestled between Burger King and Days Inn, would require the class-D license requested by the company.

Work at the future site of the restaurant paused for several weeks while plans for the building awaited state approval, according to Brad Benedict, a mason with SA Storer and Sons. While the masonry company is only one among several contractors working to transform the vacant gas station, Benedict estimated work would be completed in six weeks.

Attempts to contact Chipotle offices in Denver were unsuccessful.

“Once things are approved, work really starts to fly,” Benedict said.

The City Council also heard new legislation to authorize advertising for a new public works and utilities department uniforms cleaning contract. Though Utilities Director Kevin Maynard said there were no issues with the current service through Cintas, the current arrangement with the uniform cleaning company expires at the end of August. If accepted, other newly presented ordinances would amend current codes regarding those uniforms, clarify sick leave policies and put a general-purpose vehicle the city no longer uses up for sale.

In new zoning concerns, City Council heard plans to approve site plans for increased parking and more signs at Enclave II Apartments and additions to the Heritage Inn, both on Klotz Road. Council members also heard plans to change the zoning of property annexed into the city from Plain Township on North Dixie Highway from agricultural to residential and land on West Poe Road from residential to business.

Fourth Ward Councilman and chair of the Planning, Zoning and Economic Development Committee Mike Frost scheduled open hearings concerning the expansion plans and zoning changes on June 19 at 7:30 p.m.

Frost later tabled an ordinance altering the zoning of the Woodbridge Business Park from a general industrial district to a business park zone pending a previously planned June 5 public hearing.

On Monday, City Council also:

Accepted an ordinance accepting an offer of right-of-way property access along Sand Ridge Road.

Reserved additional funds to accommodate city expenses.

Excused councilmen Larry Sorrells and Gordy Heminger for their absence.