Student gets valuable job opportunity

After a three-month wait, Pedro Machado finally got the good news – he’ll be working at the Super Bowl.

Machado is one of 23 University students who volunteered to work at a “hospitality village,” assisting corporate visitors during their stay in Detroit this Sunday. They were chosen from 80 volunteer applicants.

“I am pumped since I learned the news,” said Machado, who got an e-mail the weekend before last. “It’s a great opportunity.”

He leaves late this afternoon for Detroit to take part in a training workshop each volunteer must attend.

Artemisia Apostolopoulou, assistant professor of sports management, recreation and tourism, said they chose students who are responsible and represent the University in a positive light.

“Our philosophy is we wanted this to be an opportunity to reward some of our best students,” Apostolopoulou said. “It’s one of the most rare opportunities with a main event near our University.”

The volunteers threw their hats into the ring at an October meeting of the Sports Management Alliance, a student organization.

Sports management professors later asked them to submit resumes and cover letters, using them to eventually narrow the applicants to 23.

Machado said he thinks his application was chosen because of the leadership skills he’s learned through involvement in activities.

“I’ve always been involved on campus – I play rugby,” Machado said, gesturing to the brown hoodie he wore last night with the words “Bowling Green Rugby” printed on it.

He also worked last summer with Major League Soccer in Columbus at the All-Star Game, and has been in ROTC for two years.

“When you put the Army name out there, they know you’re not kidding,” he said.

Despite all he’s learned in classes and activities, Machado said working next to a professional will give him practical experience.

“What is the Super Bowl? It’s the biggest sporting event in the country,” he said. “I would not let this opportunity pass by because it might not be knocking on my door again.”