Club volleyball slides under the radar

There are no scholarships given out to top recruits who come from all over the country. Their games are not televised on ESPN or FSN Ohio. They do not have weekly meet-and-greet sessions with the media.

This team just goes out and practices every Monday and Wednesday and travels the Buckeye state and beyond for weekend tournament games. This team is the BGSU men’s club volleyball.

The team is unique from all other club sports at BG because it is one of the few sports in which it’s the only team. There is no varsity men’s volleyball team, so they are the volleyball source on the men’s side.

It’s also a team that’s currently without a coach and basically being led by co-captains Brian White and Bryan Burvis after coach Cheryl Fulton left due to graduation.

“We got like 15 new players. It’s kind of a tough role to fulfill [being captain] with me [having played only] two years,” White said. “It’s kind of a difficult role for me to perform because our coach basically taught us everything and now she’s gone. So it’s definitely tough on me.”

Club sports are basically like playing division 1-A sports without all of the headaches. The club volleyball team practices what went wrong in the game or tournament just like Division 1-A sports.

“Club sports are a lot more competitive than most university sports,” said Matt Koons, a junior in his third year with the team.

“A lot of people think because it is club sports that the team sucks but because a lot of big schools do not have men’s volleyball as a varsity sport, it makes the club scene that much more competitive.”

The team just finished up their first tournament this past weekend at Miami University where they reached the semifinals before being knocked out by Purdue University.

They will compete in the Ohio State University tournament this weekend before hosting their own tournament the weekend of Nov. 17 and 18. They also have a big tournament planned up at Michigan State in East Lansing.

With everyone on the team spending so much time together, either at practice or on the road, this is a close knit team. Most of the members have spent at least a year or two playing on the team.

“This is my third year with team. We basically are a close team on the court and off court,” said Josh Brock. “We try to run through our game situations at the end of practice.”

Life on the road at tournaments is very unique. Most of the time, the team will stay with players from the area or at the houses of friends who go to the host schools.

“There are so many good teams at the various tournaments that we play,” Koons said. “Tournaments and nationals are definitely a lot of fun but each team you play will give you a test, so you can’t have too much fun.”