Toledo serves us a dish of “Tater Salad”

“Hey Hoskins, get up here and relieve me before somebody eats all that tater salad.” That simple phrase began a redneck legacy.

Ron White said, in an interview with Gene Padden, the “Diamond City” editor in Scranton, Penn., that when he was in the Navy, there was a day where everyone could bring their husband or wife on board. He was on watch because he didn’t have a wife at the time. After White said the quote above, Hoskins started calling him “Tater Salad” and the name stuck.

“Tater Salad” is on tour now and will be performing at the Stranahan Theater in Toledo tonight at 7:30 p.m.

White is affiliated with “The Blue Collar Comedy Tour,” which also includes comedians Jeff Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy.

He has also released other comedic albums such as, “Drunk in Public” and “You Can’t Fix Stupid,” according to his official Web site, www.TaterSalad.com.

“The thing that people find appealing about Ron is that he’s kind of a politically incorrect bad boy in a fun way, not in a destructive way,” said John MacDonald, White’s manager of six years.

MacDonald said White became well known to the public by being a part of “The Blue Collar Comedy Tour” and has increased his fan base ever since.

“He’s the kind of guy that can’t take authority,” MacDonald continued. “He’s the rebel.”

Since the tour and the release of his albums, White had the highest rated Sunday comedy special called, “They Call me Tater Salad,” ever to appear on Comedy Central. He also wrote a book titled, “Ron ‘Tater Salad’ White: I Had The Right To Remain Silent” But I Didn’t Have the Ability.” Penguin Books published it in June 2006.

White has also been known to be a scotch and cigar lover, both of which he almost always has on stage with him. MacDonald also described White as being “blue.” MacDonald explained that as being “dirty,” as in the language White uses.

“It’s not a kid’s or family show; it’s for adults,” MacDonald said. “That makes Ron different than a lot of comedians.”

Regardless of the language White uses, “he has a great sense of pace, timing and words and he can put them together in a way that is different and a lot of fun,” MacDonald added.

White will perform two shows at the Stranahan Theater: 7:30 p.m. and 10:30 p.m.

Tickets are available at www.ticketmaster.com.