Hockey team strives to break into the national picture

The BGSU hockey team will be looking to keep their slate clean this weekend as they face two Hockey East Conference powers in Providence tonight and top-ranked Boston College tomorrow.

After a solid start at home last weekend, BG (1-0-1) looks to push forward into college hockey’s national picture. The Falcons’ first road trip of the season will provide a test for just that.

“It should be a good test for our team to see where we’re at,” said defenseman Kevin Schmidt. “Obviously, we’re looking to win every game and compete every night.”

The last meeting between a BG squad and the No. 1 team in the country was in 2000 when they hosted Michigan State. Last year Boston College defeated BG at the Ice Arena 9-6.

The Falcons lead the series with Providence 4-3, with the last meeting coming in 2004 in which the Friars skated away with a 3-2 win.

“We know it’s stiff competition with them coming from the Hockey East and being highly ranked,” said Defensemen Russ Sinkewich, “These [games] are big for our confidence going into the conference season.”

Much of BG’s success this weekend will hinge on the play of the defense that showed promise in last weekend’s opening contests against Connecticut and Alabama-Huntsville. The Falcons surrendered only 45 shots in the two contests (17 vs. UConn and 26 vs. UAH). Last season alone they allowed 40+ shots in a single game on four different occasions.

“We need to be mentally tough,” Sinkewich said, “We need to cut out the turnovers and odd-man rushes. We know [BC and Providence] are quick and strong and we need to finish our checks.”

Leading the attack for the Falcons on offense is forward Derek Whitmore, who is coming off a four point weekend, and forward Jonathan Matsumoto, who recorded a hat trick against Boston College in last year’s loss.

The Falcons will be going into the weekend with the confidence that they can compete.

“Every weekend’s a test you know, and any teams capable of beating any team on any night,” said Schmidt. “It’s just who shows up and who’s ready to play.”