BG ends slump, defeats Detroit Mercy

For the second time this season, the men’s soccer team has snapped a streak that dated back at least three years.

Earlier in the season, the Falcons did something they have not done since 1999 by starting off the season 1-0. This time around, the Falcons snapped a 29-game road winless streak by beating the Titans of the University of Detroit Mercy by a 3-0 margin.

The winless road streak dated back to October 2003. With the victory, BG was also able to snap a six-game winless streak on the season.

“It was kind of nice to get that win,” said coach Fred Thompson.

The game started out with a flurry of shots by both teams but both goalies were up to the task. Titan goal keeper Sasha Boskovic and Falcon goal keeper Paul Shoemaker each made two early saves.

The Falcons jumped out early when midfielder/forward Alec Perea took a pass from George Davis and was able to put the ball in the top right portion of the net to beat Boskovic in the 38th minute.

The Falcons took the 1-0 lead into halftime and came out by adding another around 15 minutes into the second half. On the goal, midfielder Justin Kim took a pass from midfielder/forward Ryan Perea and was able to beat Boskovic in the 60th minute.

BG continued the scoring output just two minutes later. On the play, midfielder Cameron Hepple was able to knock Justin Kim’s free kick after it had been deflected on its way to the net.

“It was kind of a scrap goal,” Hepple said. “It wasn’t a goal I worked for. It just kind of bounced off the defender and I was there to put it in the net – a goal is a goal.”

Shoemaker made four saves and gave the Falcons their first shutout of the season. The win was the first for the Falcons since beating the Western Illinois Leathernecks 2-1 on Aug. 25.

The shutout for Shoemaker was the first of his career.

“It’s been a long time coming,” Shoemaker said. “It’s great to finally get it under my belt.”

Thompson was pleased with Shoemaker’s performance.

“He made a couple big saves,” he said. “The shutout is fantastic, but the big save he made really helped us.”

For the game, both teams tied in shots with 12 each. Each team had six shots for each period. The Falcons, however, were able to get eight shots on goals, whereas the Titans only managed five.

The win improved the Falcons’ record to 2-9-1 on the season and the loss for the Titans dropped their record to 5-5-1.

The Falcons will step back into conference play as they play the Bulls of the University of Buffalo in front of the home fans at Mickey Cochrane Field on Friday at 3 p.m.

For the Buffalo game, Thompson is looking for consistency.

“I’m looking forward to the same type of performance,” he said. “I’m absolutely thrilled that we got the victory. What I’m looking for the most is being able to put together two good games in a row. We’ve had two solid games in a row and now I’m looking for the third one.”