Dakich, team confident about upcoming season

It was all talk of progress and hopes of a successful season for BGSU men’s basketball at the Mid-American Conference’s annual media day held in Cleveland, OH.

After last year’s disappointing 9-21 (5-13) season, coach Dan Dakich has enjoyed working with this year’s team so far.

“I really like being around my team. Coach [LaMonta] Stone and I talked at the end of practice and we wanted to just keep going. I’m sure the kids were tired and wouldn’t have liked it, but I just enjoy working with them. It has been that way since school has started,” Dakich said.

The Falcons were picked to finish last place in the MAC East. The ranking may be in part to the Falcons finishing with a six game losing streak in MAC play last year and a 3-6 home conference record, but they aren’t worried about their grim pre-season ranking.

“As a team we are trying to just get better each day. No one worries about where you are picked because we know that any team can have success at any time,” BG’s Martin Samarco said.

“As far as pre-season predictions go, I told our team last year you can prove them right or prove them wrong,” Dakich said.

The Falcons will be looking to the team’s added size to play a big part in this year’s success.

“We needed some size, but sometimes size isn’t 6’8″, it’s like Lionel [Sullivan] at 6’5″ and athletic or like Otis [Polk] at 6’9″ and 300 pounds,” Dakich said.

During the event, BG’s Martin Samarco was recognized along with other 1st team All-MAC players.

Samarco is the top returning scorer in the MAC, averaging 18.9 points per game and made a school record 100 three pointers.

Samarco and fellow senior Matt Lefeld will look to lead the team to a more successful season.

“As seniors, Matt and I try to be examples to the younger guys on the team,” Samarco said. “No one wants to be remembered as a loser.”

Another returning starter is Erik Marschall, who averaged 7.4 points and 4.3 rebounds last season.

The team will also welcome back sophomores Brian Moten, Darryl Clements, Dusan Radivojevic and Brian Guerin. The Falcons will be relying on these younger, less experienced players to step up this season.

Dakich will look to move up on the MAC all time win list. He is currently 12th with 86 wins.