Falcons win once again

Chalk up another first place finish for the BGSU women’s golf team.

The Falcons won the 12-team Youngstown State Invitational/Taco Bell Ladies Golf Invitational. Last year BG won with a score of 615. This year they finished with a stellar score of 626, shooting a 313 on both days of the tournament.

Jessica McCann had the best tournament of her short season, shooting a 73 on the first day and a 74 on the second day, compiling a score of 147 to lead all golfers.

So what is it about the Youngstown course that the team likes so much?

BG coach Stephanie Young even had a tough time answering that question.

“I guess the course sets up well for us,” Young said. “We were able to come out on top.”

But Young will be the first one to admit that this win was no easy task. BG had a long week, making a trip to Muncie, Ind. then turning around to Youngstown the very next day.

“It’s been a long week for us and we needed everyone to contribute these past two days,” Young said. “We played really well as a team.”

And they did just that, a big contribution came from McCann who was very excited about her first place finish.

“That was the best tournament I’ve had so far,” McCann said. “I hit the ball really well.”

Other players who stepped up big were Lindsey Jonkoff, who shot a 77 and tied for sixth on the first day. Carley Hrusovsky matched her season best score of 78, Kari Liggett and Amanda Bader also got in with the action with scores of 85 and 86.

“We all did really well this tournament,” McCann said. “We all contributed and did what we had to.”

Of course when you are defending a first place finish from last season there comes some pressure to hold on to that title, but Young said her players were up for the test.

“We knew what we could achieve if we all play well,” Young said. “We did put a little pressure on ourselves, but we were up for the challenge.”

Now that the long week is over, the team can rest for a couple weeks before they have to go right back to work. Their next tournament will be on the first weekend of October when they travel to Richmond, Ky. for the EKU Colonel Classic.

“This will be a good time for us to regroup and refocus,” Young said. “It’s been a long week for us and it was good to end it on a good note.”