Students shouldn’t take 9/11 for granted

In just six days, Americans will honor the fifth anniversary of September 11, 2001. In doing so, it’s appropriate to remember those who were killed in the tragic events of that day. It is also fitting to reflect on the changes our country has faced these past five years.

The events of September 11, 2001, the war on terrorism and the Iraq war have tried the souls of Americans. All of us have been affected by it in some way, even if we do not realize it.

Immediately following 9/11, many Americans found themselves contemplating the fragility of life.

People seemed to have a renewed sense of appreciation for faith, family and friends.Sometimes devastating events can cause people to evaluate the most significant things in life.

According to the Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, young adults interviewed after September 11, 2001 reported an increase of closeness to parents and ranked religion and spiritual life as more important.

Similarly, researchers from the University of Michigan and the University of Washington found that the majority of young adults used prayer to cope with the events of 9/11, and those who did pray “had better psychological adjustment one year later””

These studies can help to show the affects that can take place in the midst of war and tragedy. As we head for the anniversary of 9/11, let’s also not forget those who have had to go through the pain of losing a loved one. They need the support and sincere love of others, who are willing to listen to them.

And, whether you believe the war in Iraq is just or not, it’s imperative that those who have dedicated themselves to fighting for our country are respected.

Our military forces are willing to lay down their lives in order to keep us safe, and that should not be belittled in any way.

Maybe you know someone who lost a family member or friend on 9/11, or maybe you know someone in the military.I’m sure they would appreciate a word encouragement, not just as the anniversary of 9/11 approaches, but throughout the year.

As time goes on, and 9/11 becomes a more distant memory, the resurgence in gratitude for life, faith, family and friends may seem to dissipate, but it should not.

Let’s continue to value the important things in life. Because, at the end of the day, these are the things that matter; the things that make life beautiful, even in the mundane duties that seem to get old.

Do not forget those who are closest to you and the God who gave them to you.

Chances are they love you more than you will ever know, but they do not yet have the words to tell you.

Life is too short to spend time worrying about anything else.

Send comments to Lauren Walter at [email protected].