This education doesn’t use much chalk

Editor’s note: This story originally ran in the Aug. 18 freshman edition. It is being reprinted for students who did not move in early.

Through the BGeXperience today, all freshmen will be instructed to take AlcoholEdu, an online alcohol prevention program.

‘AlcoholEdu is a non-judgmental course,’ said Terry Rentner, principle investigator for the course and chair of the journalism department. ‘It is useful for nondrinkers as well (as drinkers),’ Rentner said.

Last fall was the first offering for the course. In addition to freshmen, any Greeks and athletes who did not complete the course last year will be instructed to complete the course this year.

Rentner received a grant from the Higher Education Center at the US Department of Education. The grant is for $300,000 for an alcohol program on a college campus.

‘This course is effective in helping students consider drinking in healthier, safer ways,’ Rentner said.

The course can be taken in parts or in one sitting. The first section will take approximately two-and-a-half hours to complete. Students have until mid-September, about six weeks, to finish the first section.

Then after 30 days, a second section, which should take 20 minutes, will need to be completed. This is a follow-up survey and knowledge test.

‘This course helps us know about the needs of the students (at BGSU),’ said Barb Hoffman, the health programs coordinator at the Wellness Connection.