November 30, 2023

• Review of The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes
    Let’s time-travel to the year 2012 and the world is raving about none other than Katniss Everdeen. I remember being in elementary school, begging my mother to let me dress up as her for my birthday. Now it’s over ten years later and I’m still just as excited for the new movie as I was […]
  • Found Family Books for the Holidays
    The holidays are quickly approaching and for some of us that means seeing our family. However, family has a loose definition. It could mean blood or who you were raised with. It could also mean people you’ve found during your life journey. Either way, the holidays are meant for spending quality time with those you […]

Sharon recovery continues

By Ravi Nessman The Associated Press

JERUSALEM – Doctors reported progress yesterday by Ariel Sharon, saying the Israeli leader moved his left hand and appeared to respond to his sons’ voices in new signs of recovery from a massive stroke.

But while doctors said Sharon was no longer in immediate danger, they cautioned it would be days before they could determine the full extent of the damage he suffered from a brain hemorrhage and whether he has lost his ability to think and reason.

“I think compared with recent days … there are significant changes in the prime minister’s condition. But we still have a long way to go, and we have to be patient,” said Dr. Yoram Weiss, one of Sharon’s anesthesiologists.

Sharon suffered a massive stroke Jan. 4 and underwent three surgeries to stop hemorrhaging on the right side of his brain. He has been kept in a medically induced coma to give him time to recover.

Israelis were stunned at the illness of their 77-year-old leader and have intensely followed updates on his condition. Some made pilgrimages to Hadassah Hospital, gathering outside to pray, hanging up posters of support and offering letters of well wishes, many written by children.

Israeli police said crime in the country had fallen 50 percent since Sharon’s stroke. “It’s hard to explain, but since the prime minister became ill there seems to have been a change in people’s behavior patterns, their way of thinking,” police spokesman Mickey

Rosenfeld said.

In his first public statement since his father’s stroke, Sharon’s son Omri said the family was grateful for the outpouring of support.

“I came to thank, in the name of my family, the citizens of Israel, who since Wednesday have supported us with their concern, with warm and loving prayers for the well-being of my father,” he told reporters outside the hospital. “In addition, I want to send our great appreciation and thanks to Hadassah Hospital, the medical team treating my father and his personal doctors who have been working day and night to treat the prime minister.”

Also Tuesday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice called acting Prime Minister Ehud Olmert to check on Sharon and renew the Bush administration’s support for establishment of a Palestinian state.

Sharon suffered an initial, minor stroke Dec. 18, which doctors said was caused when a blood clot escaped through a small hole in his heart. Doctors prescribed blood thinners ahead of a planned procedure to close the hole.

Outside experts said the blood thinners could have worsened Sharon’s brain hemorrhage.

Mor-Yosef said Tuesday that doctors had discovered after Sharon’s initial stroke that he suffered from cerebral amyloid angiopathy, a disease that can cause brain bleeding, particularly in the elderly. The revelation raised questions about the doctors’ decision to prescribe blood thinners.

Dr. Anthony Rudd, a stroke specialist at St. Thomas’ Hospital in London, said giving blood thinners to a person suffering from the brain disease “certainly wouldn’t be standard procedure,” but it was a judgment call and indicated his doctors believed the hole in his heart was more of a risk than a brain hemorrhage.

“I’m sure that the decisions they made were made in good faith based on the information they had,” he said.