THE PULSE – A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A BGSU BOOKSTORE TEMP WORKER

The life of a college student can be stressful, with massive amounts of papers, exams and homework. Mixing work with school only adds to that stress. But you would never guess by looking at Denise Roush that it is, in fact, difficult to juggle between these.

Roush, a sophomore from Tiffin, recently started working at the University Bookstore. However, she is not a permanent employer of the store, she is just working rush – the busiest time of the semester.

These types of workers are called temps, as they are only working temporarily until business settles down. Although this may seem like a very hectic job because of how busy the bookstore is at this time, Roush said, “I do not feel stressed over my work.”

There are several duties that go along with having a temporary job at the bookstore. Some of these include working the cash register, stocking books, helping students find the books they need, greeting people as they come through the doors and working at the book check, where students can drop off their book bags upon entering the store.

In Roush’s case, she mainly helps students find what they need, stocks books and occasionally answers incoming phone calls.

The downside to this job is that Roush may not be guaranteed a permanent spot at the end of the period. But does this put a damper on her drive to succeed at her job? Not one bit.

Roush comes across as a “glass is half full” kind of person. She does not dwell on what has passed, or what is yet to come; rather she sees every moment as an opportunity for experience and growth.

Roush’s first day back to classes on Monday started the beginning of her busy schedule. After her first class of the new semester, she went to the bookstore to work for a couple of hours, and then attended two more classes for the day. It may have felt like a long day for her, with both classes and working, but she was done with classes and work by 7 p.m. Needless to say, Roush survived her first day with flying colors.

To many, working at the bookstore, especially during rush, may not seem too appealing. When you have an incredible amount of students angry at the ridiculous cost of textbooks, it can result in an unhappy workplace. Roush, however, did not seem to be affected by this.

“I am completely satisfied with my working environment and my co-workers as well,” Roush said. “The bookstore is very flexible with scheduling hours around my school schedule.”

Since the bookstore hires nearly 100 people to work rush each semester, it is easier to give flexible hours to the workers.

Roush has a very bubbly, outgoing personality. This is shown through the things she says, they way she talks and her excitement in talking about her job. Not only does she attend school full time and work almost everyday, but she is also a member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, all which take a lot of commitment. In her sorority, she is the public relations vice president, where her responsibility to attend meetings, among other tasks, is extremely important.

Although Roush enjoys her job at the bookstore, she is simply trying to get a little extra money.

“My dream job is to be a social worker. I have always enjoyed working with people,” she said. She also hopes to one day work in a nursing home with the elderly. “Helping people is the one thing that I want to do in my life,” she said.

The concern with having both a job and going to school may not seem too easy.

“This takes a person who is well organized, willing to commit their free time and able to juggle between work and school,” Roush said.

Roush displays a positive attitude in being a hard worker, using her favorite quote, “Shoot for the moon. If you miss, you will land among the stars.”