Students may leave, but city police still have stories to share

Bowling Green police got a bit of a break from traffic stops when students left BG last week but they didn’t get rest.

“It’s just business as usual for us,” Lt. Ken Fortney said. “It’s kind of like a long weekend for us.”

While city streets were a bit quieter, officers patrolled as usual.

Here were a few of their stops:

“Visitor” found during check-up

Officers went to check a North Enterprise Street apartment that had been left unlocked on Friday when they got a surprise. There was a man inside.

Ryan S. Brown, 26, of Rudolph, Ohio, was arrested for criminal trespassing. His bond was posted at the city police department. His arraignment will be March 28 at the Bowling Green Municipal Court.

Man spits during arrest

A Bowling Green man was arrested March 8 after his mother called and reported he was being violent with her.

Richard D. Ellis, 26, was taken to the Wood County Justice Center without bond and placed in restraint chair after being charged with domestic violence and resisting arrest.

According to police reports, Ellis had pushed his mother out the back door of their Cobblestone Drive home. His parents told police he had become violent beginning the previous day when he threw a chair in the family room. The next day, he threw a coffee cup and then pinned his mother against a refrigerator.

When police arrived, his father was attempting to restrain him, reports said. As police tried to arrest him, he spit once at one officer and then managed to spit four more times as he was being taken to jail.

At his arraignment on March 9, Ellis’s lawyer posted his bond. As conditions of his release, Ellis was told not to return to his parent’s home and have no contact with them until further court order. He will appear in court again on Wednesday at 1 p.m.

Jailed men get arrested

Two men at Northwest Community Corrections Center got themselves in more trouble with the law on March 6.

Shane Thomas Hager, 26, of Toledo, and Christopher Dwayne Slone, 18, of Napoleon, Ohio, were each arrested for fighting at the residential treatment center.

According to police reports, Hager began arguing with Slone and they began to push one another. Eventually, they started throwing punches.

Slone had long scratch marks on the right side of his neck, reports said.

Lt. Tony Hetrick of the city police said Hager was serving time for a theft offense and Slone had been charged with soliciting sex.

“Zodiac” with broken foot causes ruckus

A Cleveland man with a broken foot kept police busy on March 7.

Ohio State Police dropped off James P. Horning, 52, in Bowling Green after they found him on Interstate 75. According to police reports, he threw his keys in the highway before they towed his vehicle. The keys were never found.

When he got to Buckeye Budget Inn on East Wooster Street, Horning began filling out a check-in card but was reported to have become combative with the desk clerk because he had no money and couldn’t pay for a room.

The clerk told city police he kept writing the Zodiac killer symbol on his check-in card and calling him names because the clerk wouldn’t go out to his vehicle and get his keys. The vehicle had initially been towed to the hotel but taken to Wright’s because he was unable to pay.

Officers drove Horning to The Link to be prescreened after he repeatedly told police he was 103 years old. Horning eventually began to argue with the prescreener and demanded a cup of coffee, reports said.

He was taken to a gas station where police got a call that he was trying to get cigarettes from customers.

Horning was arrested for disorderly conduct and taken to jail. He was released on bail the following day and is set to appear at the Bowling Green Municipal Court on March 21 at 10 a.m.

Bowling Green man arrested for counterfeits, drugs

Two young men were reported to be using counterfeit $100 bills at six local restaurants on March 5.

Police found Adam El Anani, 20, of Bowling Green, and a juvenile passenger at the McDonalds drive-through on East Wooster Street. Officers arrested them immediately and began to search the car.

They found a total of $1,020 in counterfeit bills, a bag of marijuana and an open box of sandwich bags. An employee at Ace Hardware called soon after and said their bank had notified them of a counterfeit bill that matched the serial number of El Anani’s other counterfeit money.

El Anani was arrested for drug trafficking and forgery. He was taken to Wood County Jail and his vehicle was towed.

Police are now investigating where El Anani got the counterfeit money, Hetrick said.

El Anani was released when he posted bond the following day and after a court appearance, his case was been continued to the Wood County Court of Common Pleas.

Local girl reports being choked

Officers arrested a Grand Rapids man after he was reported to have attempted to choke his 16-year-old ex-girlfriend.

The Colony Lane resident said Rogelio Augusto Straley, 21, came to her house on March 3 and followed her to her room after she told him to leave. She said he grabbed her throat and pushed her onto her bed, got on top of her and began to choke her. After she managed to call for her brother and threatened to call the police, she told police Straley ran away.

Later that day, Straley was arrested for aggravated assault and taken to Wood County Jail without bond. At his arraignment on March 5, he was ordered to have no contact with his ex-girlfriend.