Falcons hold off Rocket seniors in MAC quarterfinal action

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Although the BG women’s basketball team had a few streaks end two weekends ago, there is still one streak that they managed to keep alive – their seven-game MAC Tournament win streak. A big reason for that streak is Carin Horne.

In the Falcons’ 71-62 win over Toledo Tuesday, the senior forward had 22 points, five rebounds and four steals. Her recent success in the event has not gone unnoticed.

“That’s how good she is when the lights are on in this arena,” said BG coach Curt Miller. “She loves this time of year and she’s been huge for us.”

Coming into the night, Horne averaged more than 10 points and five rebounds in three years of tournament play. This game had different meaning than past tournament games have for Horne though.

“This year it is definitely [more important] being a senior,” Horne said. “This is the best time, this is the only [MAC Tournament] that I’ll remember.”

The game was full of talented seniors. Toledo had two seniors of their own in Savannah Werner and Danielle Bishop that fought hard to keep their season alive.

Werner excelled early, scoring 13 of her 16 points in the first half. Bishop came on late and ended up with 19 points. Her defense was also exceptional, she had six steals and seven rebounds.

Although the game was not as graceful a win as the Falcons are accustomed to, Miller and company were fine with making the semi-finals.

“Survive and move on, it’s that time of year, tough teams move on,” Miller said. “There are no more worries as a coaching staff about pretty wins.”

Kate Achter added 15 points for BG, she drove to the basket all game, and was a perfect 5-for-5 from the free-throw line. She also had four assists.

Ali Mann had 10 points and nine rebounds. Lindsey Goldsberry had six points and four steals. BG now moves on to face Eastern Michigan. The Eagles were the last team to defeat the Falcons in Quicken Loans Arena in 2004.

The 2004 MAC Championship was so long ago, the arena was still called Gund Arena at the time.

BG defeated Eastern Michigan in their only match-up this season Jan. 28 by a score of 72-55.

The other semi-final game will feature Northern Illinois and Ball State.

With losses by Kent State and Ohio, BG is now the only member of the MAC East left in the tournament.