Auction of Oprah’s dress benefits BGSU

Who knew that a used little black dress could raise so much money.

At the 40th Anniversary of the William T. Jerome Library, Oprah Winfrey’s dress did just that, being auctioned off to highest bidder for $7,500.

All of the money raised by the dress will go to the library.

“People know the University needs money for scholarships and athletics, but we [the library] also rely on the generosity of the community,” said Kelly Broughton, co-interim dean of University Libraries, after the dress was auctioned off.

About 200 people came to celebrate the library’s anniversary and bid on items to help raise money for the library’s future.

“I think we sold every single one of our auction items,” Broughton said.

The importance of the library to the University and its students was the predominant theme of the night. Guests showed up ready and willing to bid on silent auction items as well as Oprah’s dress because they knew it would benefit BGSU.

“The library is the center of it all at BG, it is a place where knowledge grows and our character is truly defined,” said University President Sidney Ribeau.

The auction was held on the 8th floor of the library, which was decorated with a musical theme. The library was closed to the public during the event.

The silent auction included a digital mosaic of the Jerome Library, different sorts of theme baskets and even an autographed poster of Freddy and Freida Falcon.

The night was livened up with music by the band Hepcat Revival, as well as performances by Eva Marie Saint Scholarship recipients Amanda Clements, Marley Silvestri and Rachel Wycoff.

All of the entertainment led into the highlight of the night – the live auction of Oprah’s dress.

Oprah’s dress has been traveling throughout the country to and from charitable events, and was donated to the library by Robert and Pat Maurer, who happened to be the highest bidder once again.

Maurer was unsure of which charitable event the dress would travel to next, but was not unsure of his reason for bidding.

“I did it just to help the library out more than anything, it’s a good cause,” Maurer said. “I think the library [is] the best kept secret around.”