Toledo not a good pick for singles

Where’s the love? Not in Toledo.

Bowling Green’s neighbor to the north, Toledo, has been ranked the third worst city to find a mate in by Men’s Health Magazine.

The list compiled 101 cities ranking them by the criteria of the ratio of women to men, divorce rates, fitness levels, philanthropy, education rate, romantic chemistry and what attractions the city has for good dates.

Toledo was in the bottom three with Charleston, W.Va and Buffalo, N.Y.

The five best cities on the list were San Francisco, Minneapolis; San Jose, Calif.; Arlington, Texas; and Raleigh, N.C.

Toledo was the sixth worst for the level of education with factories outnumbering colleges in the area 160 to 1.

Estitia Stone, freshman, agrees that Toledo is lagging behind other cities when it comes to education.

‘I’ve lived there for about four years now and I think a lot of people there are lacking an education,’ Stone said.

Toledo also earned the spot for the eighth highest divorce rate and 14th worst in romantic chemistry.

Some students, such as Steve Mizer, sophomore, are not worried yet about being single.

‘If I get to be about 30 and I’m still not married I’ll probably be worried about being alone,’ Mizer said. ‘Being 19 and going on 20 I’m not worried now, but I think it’s never too late for love.’

Lindsay West, sophomore, thinks it will work out in the long run and isn’t looking now to date.

‘It will happen someday,’ West said. ‘I don’t really have the time now to look.’

With BGSU students living in a region that has been labeled one of the worst to find a mate, students look in different places for the special someone.

Church is the ideal place for Jackie Hargreaves, sophomore, to look for a man.

‘I think church is a good place because at the bars you will just meet sleazy people and at church you will meet quality people with good integrity,’ she said.

West prefers if her friends set her up with someone.

‘Through my friends is best because I trust them and they know what I like,’ she said. ‘I also prefer to be friends with someone, then start dating.’

Mizer believes the best place to look is in class. ‘In class it’s real easy to start up small talk with someone about homework,’ Mizer said.

Javelyn Tate, freshman, believes just going somewhere where she is comfortable is the place to look.

‘Wherever you like to be is a good place to look because if they are there then you at least have that in common,’ Tate said.

Many students agree that looking for a mate at a party or a bar is not the best setting.

‘Most people at the bars are just going to have one thing on their mind and that’s sex,’ Hargreaves said.

John Stehura, junior agrees most people at the bars are not interested in pursuing a relationship while they are there.

‘At the bars most people are just looking for sex and you can’t base a relationship solely on sex,’ Stehura said.

Everybody looks for different traits in their ideal mate, but many students cited a good sense of humor, personality and intelligence as most important.

‘He has to have a sense of humor or we aren’t going to make it,’ Hargreaves said. ”hellip; And if I’m smarter than him then I don’t think I’ll respect him.’

A nice appearance is necessary but not enough for a mate, according to Mizer.

‘Good looks are important but it’s all in the brains,’ he said. ‘I don’t care about book smarts but she has to have street smarts.’