BGSU chapter reacts to MU hazing

A recent hazing incident involving the Miami University Phi Gamma Delta chapter will have repercussions, but members of the BGSU chapter say it will not effect them.

On March 6, officials reported small groups of men were spotted at Hueston Woods, a park in Oxford, Ohio. Park rangers contacted Miami University to report what they suspected was a hazing incident.

The men were believed to have been left outside for a long period of time without knowing where they were or how to get home.

“A fire had been set in a restroom for warmth. When the park rangers asked the men which fraternity they were associated with, they lied,” said Susan Vaughn, director of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution at Miami University.

According to Tom Robertson, member of Phi Gamma Delta at BGSU, the Miami University incident will get “blown over,” and shouldn’t affect the local fraternity’s Phi Gamma Delta rushing in the future.

“I think there will be a negative effect on the fraternities name as a whole,” Robertson said. “Every chapter has their own way of doing things, so, I don’t think this will affect BGSU in any way.”

According to Josh Davenport, the President of the BGSU Phi Gamma Delta chapter, in the national chapter’s 159 year history, this is the second time negative actions have been nationally publicized for the chapter.

In 1997, a student in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology chapter died of alcohol poisoning, Davenport said. But these incidents have not occurred within the BGSU chapter, he said.

This fraternity, which has 40 members, has received negative publicity due to these events but this does not account for all the different chapters.

Ryan McNulty, Vice President of Judicial Affairs for Interfraternity Council at BGSU believes the University is trying to escape a stereotype caused by these events.

“Hazing is a stereotype we have been fighting,” he said. “It puts a negative effect on fraternities. Many people think all fraternities are about drinking and hazing only but that is not that case on this campus.”

Davenport agrees, believing that many ignore the positives of Greek life.

“Greek life has an Animal House stereotype,” he said. “People do not look at the positive aspects, such as philanthropies, community service, brotherhood and sisterhood and life long friendships.”

Following the Miami University incident, the school charged their chapter with hazing and dishonesty, which are violations of the university’s code of student policy.

“Miami University will not condone any form of hazing,” Vaughn said. “This is a wake up call for other fraternities, now knowing such actions can and will happen.”

Along with being charged with hazing and dishonesty, Phi Gamma Delta’s international headquarters in Lexington, Ky., suspended the fraternity indefinitely, according to Vaughn. The men of Phi Gamma Delta have until the end of the semester to leave their house, as well as take their fraternity flag down from its pole.

Phi Gamma Delta at Miami University must now develop a reorganization plan and have it approved by the Office of Ethics and Student Conflict Resolution and by the Greek Office of Fraternal Life before they will be able to return to campus, Vaughn said.

A new member education program, risk management initiatives – including alcohol education and education on hazing laws – and University policies must be included in the plan, she added.

The Phi Gamma Delta chapter’s national Web site defines hazing as any action taken or situation created, intentionally, whether on or off fraternity premises, to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment or ridicule.

Such activities may include use of alcohol, paddling in any form, creation of excessive fatigue, physical and psychological shocks, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other such activities carried outside or inside the fraternity house.

The national chapter of Phi Gamma Delta was founded in 1848 at Jefferson College, in Canonsburg, Pa. There are 110 chapters and six colonies at the foremost colleges and universities of the U.S. and Canada.