Spring Sports coming to a close

With most of the BGSU spring sports finished or winding down their seasons, here is a look at what you might have missed since our last issue.

Softball

An impressive 2007 season came to an end for the BG softball team last weekend as Central Michigan knocked the Falcons out of the loser’s bracket of the MAC tournament 2-0

BG ends its season at 33-12, posting the fewest losses in program history. The 2007 Falcons are the only team to finish with a winning percentage above .700.

The 2007 senior class (Jeanine Baca, Lauren Hoffman, Emmy Ramsey and Ashley Zirkle) leaves BGSU as the most successful class in Falcon history, helping BG to 133 wins over the past four years.

Track ‘ Field

The Falcons finished tied for seventh with Miami in the women’s side of the MAC outdoor championships last weekend in Oxford, Ohio. Akron claimed the overall team championship with a total score of 154 points, with Western Michigan finishing second with 135. BG tallied 54 points over the weekend.

The seventh place finish ended any Falcon hopes of qualifying as a team for the NCAA Mid-East Regionals in Colombia, Mo. in less than two weeks.

Lauren Bryant’s second-place finish in the discus was good enough to qualify for the regional meet. Bryant threw a personal-best of 159-09, beating her previous best of 154-10 to become the lone Falcon to advance to Missouri.

Baseball

The BG baseball team continued its struggles in MAC play, losing two out of three at home to Buffalo this past weekend to drop its record to 19-31 overall and 5-19 in conference play. The Falcons have lost 10 of their last 12 games and are 12-27 since returning from Florida to begin the season.

BG will host its final series of the season this weekend when Ohio University comes to Stellar Field for a three game MAC set. The Bobcats sit two games ahead of BG for last place in the MAC East division standings.