Comedy’s running downhill

What exactly has happened to comedy nowadays? Stand up comedy, in my eyes, has died because of a few factors, mainly because either people take their comedy styles from the legend of the past, or they just aren’t funny.

It’s gotten really, really hard to find comedians that don’t take jokes or style from other comedians. It’s gotten so bad it just makes me want to puke in my soup (George Carlin).

Demetri Martin is a prime example. Being one of the weirder comedians in recent memory has helped him become popular, with his jokes about fake mythical creatures and lame-ass “charts.” But, other comedians like Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Rodney Dangerfield, Bobcat Goldthwait or George Burns, ALL HAVE THE SAME ACT, but they’ve done it better in the past!

Seriously, people need to get more innovative with their style. But, to be honest, there are some new innovative guys out, but, they’re just too damn repetitive. I’m talking, of course, about that damn Dane Cook.

Mr. Look-At-Me-I-Make-References-To-Old-Stuff-So-I’m-Funny.

Because of him, I have lost all interest in using Eddie Gordo in Tekken 3, eating cashews or even listening to stand-up comics. But, I can’t really blame him for being lame. Here’s a tip, people: reciting a comedian over and over doesn’t make it funnier the 30th time you hear him. Overuse has killed Dane Cook’s talent (or what little he had to begin with).

And it seems like every time I see a new comedian, they find a new thing to rip off. One day, it’s previous comedians, the next day, it’s police blotters and lame news stories.

Another big problem with current comedians is that, most of the time, NONE of them are funny! Anyone thinks that, if they make one mildly funny joke their entire life, they can instantly do stand-up.

. . .Look at Josh Benner.

Just because you get one of you drunken buddies to laugh at a “blonde girl” joke doesn’t mean you can reach the caliber of Carson or Hacket. And I know it seems appealing.

Everyone would want to have a job like mine or Seinfeld’s, but, it’s not gonna happen, even if you do talk about how you tease your plants by watering them with ice cubes (Steven Wright).

So, in summation of my little tirade, all I have to say is this:

1. Listen to some older comedians people. You’ll never go back to recent crap again.

2. If you want to get into the comedy business, punch yourself in the face. The shock may make you realize how bad your jokes are.

3.Seriously, STOP RECITING DANE COOK JOKES! The next time I hear someone talk about f-ing cashews in reference to that hack, I’ll shoot myself in the chest plate (Dane Cook”Oh, crap!).

Jon ([email protected]) worries about hurting the feelings of automatic doors he walks past. Five bucks for whoever knows who’s joke that is.