Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Content Any Way U Want It!

Join our team
Join the Falcon Media team for Spring semester - paid staff positions, internships, volunteer opportunities. Applications open now until October 13. Get the details!
September 29, 2023

• My Fiction Icks
    By Jay Grummel When you read as much as I do you start to notice common things in fiction that make you annoyed, upset  or even want to put down the book completely. I have a bad habit of not giving books much of a chance when they use some of these personal ‘icks’. However, […]
  • Poetry for Fall
    By Jay Grummel Poetry has a way of connecting us to the external and internal world. In poetry it is easier to feel a season and truly feel a piece due to this. Poetry has a subtle way of making the readers immersed into the world of the poem. With the air getting colder and […]

Early classes, late shifts

It’s 11:00 p.m. on a Wednesday and while most of Bowling Green students are ending their days, sophomore Ashley Ransey is just beginning hers.

Ransey is one of the many students at the University to work a third shift job, from 9:00 p.m. until 7:00 a.m., and carry a full course load. She is a sports management major and has been working at The Waffle House since August of 2006 to help pay off bursar and doctors bills.

The restaurant is a familiar sight to anybody who travels along Wooster Street regularly, the bright yellow sign can be seen clearly from the 1-75 exit ramp. Twenty-four hours a day cars are pulling in and out of the small parking lot. Inside the restaurant there is room for about 40 customers who can seat themselves at either a booth or at the counter. There is an old juke box in the front window which plays everything from Elvis to Jennifer Lopez, and on any given Friday night, the place is full with students who have just left the Sky Bar and are hungry for some pecan pancakes.

At 11:30 p.m. Wednesday, the restaurant was mostly vacant ,except for one customer seated at the bar drinking a coke. On slow nights, Ransey divides her time between cleaning and joking around with co-workers. The ten hour shift, the longest of the three shifts at the Waffle House, and the slow winter nights give Ashley plenty of time to hang out with fellow employees.

“I get to meet cool people all of the time, I get to work with cool people ,” Ransey said.

Long hours and an unusual schedule are not a set back for Ransey – most nights there are a few familiar faces that keep the place lively. Ransey knows all of the regulars by name and by the time they have taken their seat at the counter, she is already reaching for a cup of coffee or a vanilla coke.

Though she likes the job, the task of juggling a third shift job and a full course load can be daunting. Add friends and homework into the mix and there is little time left for sleep most days. When she finishes her shift at 7 a.m., she usually spends her mornings finishing up projects before she goes off to her 11 a.m. class.

“I don’t want to say that I’m struggling but I still have things that come up that I have to do after work. I’m still learning,” Ransey said about juggling work and schoolwork.

She is certainly not the only student to work and go to class. A recent poll by USA Today shows that 77 percent of students work and 25 percent of these students work 40 or more hours a week. The reasons cited for the increase in student employment were increased tuition costs and a decrease in financial aid.

But, why work third shift? Ransey said she took the late night job because it would not interfere with her class schedule and she could make a lot of money in tips working nights.

Michelle L. Simmons, associate director of the career center, explains that many students seek work off campus because they better fit their schedules and offer the possibility of making more money in tips and a regular wage.

Working at the Waffle House is not always an easy job. On weekend nights the restaurant is packed with people who are on their way out or stopping there before they head home. On many weekends, she has faced stressful rushes, broken dishes and rude customers.

“I’ve had a table of four people, have me run around all night and then leave without giving me a tip,” she said.

As a waitress at an all-night restaurant she has even had to break up fights between customers on a couple of occasions.

Despite the hectic and sometimes stressful nights, Ransey said that the customers and the people she work with make the job truly enjoyable.

“I get to spend time with some really fun people and we just have a good time,” Ransey said. “I won’t leave … ever. I love it.”